What are these?

The purpose of giving chicks medicated chick feed is to boost their immune system while they develop their own immunity to coccidiosis (sp). How would kitten food do that for a chicken? In addition chick starter feed is about 18% protein. Cat food is way higher than that. All that extra protein could overload kidneys. I would feed chicks the feed developed for chicks. It was done at great cost and study.

Quote:
THATS IS CORRECT--- GAMEBIRD STARTER. MEDICATED OR NON MEDICATED IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE. AND YES YOU ARE CORRECT ABOUT KIDNEY DAMAGE. AND REGULAR CHICK STARTER CAN CAUSE SOME GAMEBIRDS TO EITHER--- 1 GET CONSTIPATED AND DIE, OR 2 GET DIARRHEA WHICH WILL LEAD TO PASTY BUTT AND CAUSE DEATH AS WELL IF NOT CORRECTED. GAMEBIRD OR TURKEY STARTER VARIES FROM ABOUT 25% TO UPWARDS OF 29-30% PROTIEN FOR SOME OF THE TURKEY STARTERS.(DEPENDS ON THE BRAND) TRY ANOTHER FEED STORE IF YOUR TSC DOESNT CARRY GAMEBIRD. ALSO SINCE THERE'S JUST A FEW OF THE LIL BOOGERS YOUR LOCAL FEED STORE MAY SELL SMALLER AMOUNTS--- MANY HERE LOCALLY WILL SELL AS LITTLE AS 5 POUND BAGS, ALTHOUGH THEY CAN EAT IT FROM HATCH UNTIL DEATH AND IT WONT HURT THEM. GOOD LUCK WITH THE LIL GUYS--- THEY'RE CUTE! THERE'S A STICKY POST AT THE TOP OF THE STRING HERE THAT YOU AND YOUR WIFE MAY FIND VERY INFORMATIVE ABOUT THIS TYPE OF QUAIL.... ENJOY!

Coturnix A&M for sure! I've hatched hundreds of em' and got more in the hatcher right now! I've fed medicated chick feed mixed with reg. chick feed with no adverse effects at all. Sometimes you have a hard time finding the the turkey and gamebird starter around here!

Medicated feed is fine, I feed my laying quail medicated feed and have no problems. You can also boil an egg and crumble the yolk into their feed, or use the ground up cat food as suggested.

They are A&M coturnix.
smile.png

They appear to be some kind of coturnix quail to me. I'm not sure if they are A&M's, B range or some kind of button quail, but they are defiantly quail, so the higher the protein food, the better.

I don't know about feeding cat food, but something, anything 18%+ protein should be fine. The higher the protein, the better. Medicated or not...Irrelevant.

Optimal: 30% game bird starter.
Acceptable: 20%+ chick starter.
Minimal: 18% chick starter.
Those are my thresholds, but that's just me.

Ken

Quote:
they do, it's just labeled as chick starter..... then you have to read if it's also for quail pheasant chuckar etc.... 24% is what you'll buy at TSC......

And crystal will kill me, but I feed medicated feed
smile.png
Sorry girly
smile.png

Quote:
coturnix quail need 24-27% protein as a base minimum. 30% is optimal... thats why in the How-To Niki used her chick starter with ground up yolk or catfood to boost the protein to 27-30%......

If we were talking chickens, yes it'd be weird.......

but then again, i feed my cornish x startina at 30% protein. After 8 weeks, who cares how their kidneys work?
smile.png

Quote:
they do, it's just labeled as chick starter..... then you have to read if it's also for quail pheasant chuckar etc.... 24% is what you'll buy at TSC......

And crystal will kill me, but I feed medicated feed
smile.png
Sorry girly
smile.png

Shame on you lol

Back
Top Bottom