what are they doing???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swmommyto3, Jul 19, 2008.

1. swmommyto3

swmommyto3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    ok 2 of my araucana hens look like they are hugging each other. one lays on her side in the grass w/one wing slightly extended and then the other is coming over laying almost on top of her and extending her wing too??? they actually look like they are trying to hug but Im thinking its some sort of pseudo-mating thing???? anyone?????

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

sounds like a dust bath to me.

3. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    It sounds like dust bathing to me too. My hens are real "monkey-see monkey-do" creatures. If one of them starts to preen, scratch, or dust bathe the other one has to also. So if one is stretched out in the dirt the other will get as close as she can to do the same thing, often laying right on top of the other.

4. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Mine were doing something similar this afternoon...One was sitting down and another one came and practically sat on her head. They are so funny! Eventually there were about nine of them all sitting right smack close to each other.

Man, it's too hot for that much closeness! And those little chickens are HOT!

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My chickens always seem to try and dust bathe in the same place. Makes for some strange arrangements, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. swmommyto3

swmommyto3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    idk! they do take alot of dust baths but for this they arent moving at all! but yes sort of similar look w/wings spread but the difference being the are laying on their side?! and kind of zombie like!? the first one did it I thought she was dropping dead!!! she was walking along sort of fell sideways and layed there untill the other one walked over and did the same thing on her! then one got up and about a full minute later the first one got up! granted its hot 90+ but still odd.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Mine do that a lot when they lay around when it's hot. I think it helps keep them cool.

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    They are sun bathing...

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Or cool bathing - they scratch up the dirt, then lie on top of the cool dirt they overturned, wings outspread to help cool their body temps by exposing the underside of their wings (less feathers) to the cool dirt.

When the suck all the coolness out of the dirt, they scratch around again and stir up some more cooler dirt.

It's like turning your pillow over on a hot night to get to the cool side...

10. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Quote:That is what they are doing , there's very few places on a bird that they can have the sun tough their skin and soak up the vitiman D . I got some hens once from a man that kept them in a stall with no sun. The poor things coulden't get enough suning when i brought them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by