What are they - Mites? Parasites?

Julie

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 21, 2007
I have a chicken that is losing it's feathers (neck , head, and back end. I now have a second one that is having the same issue on it's back. Now we noticed that they have countless mites/parasites (?) covering the bird. My other birds seem ok but the one is not doing well. Have you seen this before? The skin is dry and irritated and flecked with black. Please help! - Julie

Last edited:
You need to dust all of them with poultry dust right away. Especially on the tummy, near the vent and under the wings. After doing that clean everything out of the coop. Everything. Make a white wash with Sevin insect dust and water and "paint" everything especially the corners, crevices, perches and nesting boxes. Make sure you remove all bedding including that in the nest boxes. After the coop has aired out well and dried I would sprinkle additional Sevin dust on the floor especially close to the walls. Put in new litter and dust the top of that with DE . It's going to be a big job but mites can actually cause your chickens death. Make sure you dust the chickens again in 10 day. After that get on a regular schedule that will protect the birds.

Back
Top Bottom