WHAT are they?

Amurr

Songster
Apr 25, 2020
I have four birds that are supposed to be Black Jersey Giants. They are 3-4ish weeks and they aren’t maturing like I expected. They are half the size of my columbian Wyandotte’s that are exactly the same age. And they are turning white?!

what do you think?

Attachments

• 0C1D9303-D5E0-4CC3-8FE9-A4CC94E714D0.jpeg
    0C1D9303-D5E0-4CC3-8FE9-A4CC94E714D0.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 38
Wow, mabey a white Jersey Giant, or a blue Jersey Giant. We have a 5 week old "Black Jersey Giant" with some white feathers on her wings. BTW White/Blue Jersey Giants are about a pound lighter.

Looking at it again, white Jersey Giants usually have a yellow beak, so that's what I think you've got.
Saaaaad. They were supposed to be black and they came from a hatchery so I really expected them to be true to advertising. I had hoped to breed them to my English Lavender Orpington Roo. I wonder what kind of color I’ll get out of a White JJ/ELOrp cross.

Saaaaad. They were supposed to be black and they came from a hatchery so I really expected them to be true to advertising. I had hoped to breed them to my English Lavender Orpington Roo. I wonder what kind of color I’ll get out of a White JJ/ELOrp cross.
Probably black. The lavender is diluted black, and the white is probably recessive white over black.

I’ll look forward to that then! Do you think it could be possible to to get a grey or blue out of the mix?

Extremely unlikely to get a blue. By grey do you mean lavender? No, none will be lavender. All the offspring will carry a lavender gene as well as a recessive white gene. If those offspring are bred back to the lavender parent you will get 50% lav and 50% black offspring.

Extremely unlikely to get a blue. By grey do you mean lavender? No, none will be lavender. All the offspring will carry a lavender gene as well as a recessive white gene. If those offspring are bred back to the lavender parent you will get 50% lav and 50% black offspring.
Thank you. I’m still learning how chickens color out. Mixing colors with birds is not quite as straightforward as my lifetime of breeding different colored cattle.

Back
Top Bottom