What are they?

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
I received some eggs in trade for some coturnix quail roos. I was told the large fowl were BLRW and ameraucanas, seperated into breeding pens and SQ stock.
My BLRW chicks dont look like the other BLRW I've seen, and I've been told my ameraucanas are EEs cause the color is off. I believe two hatched from the wyandotte eggs, and 3 from the ameraucana eggs, I'm not positive as the last egg was very lightly tinted and hard to tell. These chicks are now 9-10 days old
What do you all think, and if you have any gender guesses they're welcome.

This is Babs, I believe it's a BLRW cockerel but I've not found other BLRW with an eye bar.

Group shots

Sleepy, the mystery chick. This one is smaller bodied than the others, has some chipmunk stripes and not nearly as much neck fluff. It's also got a shorter beak.

haha you would get two breeds that have next to no comb and similar chick colors for us to try to determine! I don't see ANY green or slate colored legs in the group...kinda odd but not unheard of for EE chicks.

The third pic looks like a BLRW chick on the far left of the screen, and the second bird to the left in the foreground also looks like maybe a BLRW chick. I agree with hdowen. they need to feather out more before we can really tell you. Oh, and for the record, my BLRW Candi lays a very pale egg. It looks pale pinkish. Hers is the egg on the far left. The other brown egg is from my other BLRW, and for some reason, I get a lot of variation in color from her eggs. Sometimes they are much darker, and often they are speckled. Candi's eggs though, are always the same solid light pinkish brown.

Last edited:
3 of them are colored exactly the same, the mystery chick is very similar to the 3 but has chipmunk stripes by her tail. Except for Babs, their legs are getting darker in color.
Supposedly the only 4 breeds the guy has are BLRW, banty cochin, OEGB, and ameraucana. He said all of them are in separate breeding pens.
idunno.gif
I will update this in a week or so.

3 weeks old now! I banded them so I can tell them apart now.

Babs(red band), still leaning toward rooster. It's waddles are starting to form and I'm seeing pink, it also looks like the comb is rising a little.

Sleepy(green band), pullet? This is the one that either hatched from a very light brown egg or a light blue egg.

Yolanda(yellow band), pullet?

Betty(black band), cockerel? This one and Babs spar every other day, and it looks pretty serious.

Whitney(white band), pullet?

And the bantams

Ginger(red band), spangled? pullet?

Bunty(black band) spangled? pullet?

Back
Top Bottom