What are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kingdean, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kingdean

kingdean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    I have a pair of bantam chickens, Bonnie and Clyde, and I don't know what breeds they are. Can you help? They came to my place back in the spring and decided they liked my house better than their original home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kingdean

Jan 16, 2008
    Oh forgot to mention that Bonnie lays tanish/light brown eggs. (And she won't hold still for a good pic)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Mama Kay W

Mama Kay W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I'm no expert but i'd say the shy one might be a EE? and the other really looks like a Rhode Island red rooster.

4. kingdean

Jan 16, 2008
    I have a standard sized RIR roo and he doesn't look like this guy. Are the colors different in bantams? Clyde has green, red and orange colors. I've only ever had standard sized chickens so idk.

Bonnie's legs are slate colored and is kinda colored like an EE. All my standard EEs layed blue eggs and her's are tan...but I know the colors vary and she could be a "mutt". I'll go out there now and check out her comb.

Edited to add: Bonnie has a straight comb.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    No there should be no difference other than size between the bantams and the regular sized birds. So not an RIR.

I'd say you have a hatchery quality non-dubbed Old English Brown Red, or Ginger Red pair. Slate legs are standard for the breed (many more breeds than just EEs have colored legs).

Hope that helps!

6. kingdean

Jan 16, 2008
    Quote:I googled Brown Red OEG and I have to say they do look a lot like that. Thanks so much. This pair and another roo came to our house in the spring from a neighbor's house through the woods. The other roo had string tying his legs close together. I understand that OEG bantams are/were bred for fighting so I didn't feel bad about keeping their chickens. They came to us for a reason...they wanted a good life. And that's what we give them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by