What are we!?

mollybuck

Songster
7 Years
May 14, 2013
WNY
Hi all. We had a bunch of ducks take up residence on my sisters pond this spring, and she cant keep them through the winter. We want to advertise them but we dont know what kind they are. we tried to find where they came from too, since they were obvisously tame as babies, but we think maybe they were easter ducklings that were dropped off to her...
Anyway, here they are. there are 8 of them 5 boys and 3 girls. theyre still young, but they are getting green heads, but not the white line she was expecting. i think they are khaki campbells...she thinks rouen!

I can't be sure from that pic, but they look like Khakis to me. Khaki drakes get the greenish bronze head from their Mallard ancestry, but they don't have the white neck ring.

I really hope you can find homes for them. I love Khakis. It makes me furious that so many people buy ducklings from feed stores and stuff around Easter, then abandon them a couple of months later to local ponds/rivers. The feed stores around here don't even tell people that domestic ducks aren't likely to survive in the wild. It's illegal here to abandon domestic ducks to a wild pond, but that doesn't stop people from doing it
rant.gif

i thought mallards and rouens would have the white ring by now... they are.. 6 months old or so. She didnt mind them being there as she has an acrea and a half pond... and she had chickens.. so she already had feed, but the chickens are gone and she cant keep them, they eat a lot! I have 4, but i dont have the room for more or I would take them. I only have a kiddie pool for mine right now.

Back
Top Bottom