What are you doing for Earth Day/ Arbor Day?

I power my house with solar year round. But I balance that out by driving an SUV. How else am I going to get all my plants, trees, mulch etc. home from the store?
hu.gif

Janine, we do what we can, we balance things, we try to make as little imprint as we can on the earth - but we need to do what we have to do. I've got a pickup truck, it's a Ranger, pretty good on gas, actually, but I need that truck, I'm a gardener, I need to be able to transport things. You make up for it in other areas, such your solar home (I'm jealous!)

I agree! I drive an SUV, but I recycle, I run errands during the week when I'm in town, I reuse things around the house instead of purchasing new and I conserve energy inside the house.
smile.png

we went and saw Disneys planet earth.. (opening day) they will plant a tree for each ticket purchased during the opening week.. and after that we went and bought a green mower.. the old style push one with no motor.. wooo hooo

Did all my errands in a circle-- haircut, dentist, lunch with fellow chicken-addict, Home Depot for coop material. And wore a green shirt. Of course, we are the recycling empire of our street, compost, mulch, turn out lights etc. My parents were products of post WWII appalachia- waste not want not

Our elementary school dedicated a new outside "Life Lab" garden on campus. We brought in all sorts of folks to talk about everything from tools, solar cooking, bugs (great beetles came!)... and "Chickens: Our friends in the garden".

That was me! I brought 3 hens and 3 chicks to share with all the kids grades K-5. I brought Zebra (Barred Rock), Cloud (White Rock), Kestrel (Golden Campine), 4 week old chicks Celery and Chard (Golden Laced Cochins) and 1 week old Sunshine (Ameraucana).

It was a blast! I taught them all about chickens - all different colors of eggs they lay (and a basket of my eggs as a sample)... all the different colors the birds come in (I have my variations, a Murray McMurray calendar and some photos I had clipped... I talked about hatching eggs and told them all about the 36 eggs I have incubating in my son's Second Grade classroom (which inspired alot of jealousy ... I anticipate seeing more classroom incubators in the future)... let the kids pet Zebra (she's my very calm, demo hen)... gave out chicken stickers (bought from Zazzle.come)...

It seemed as thought all the kids, teachers and visitors loved the chickens. It was a most excellent way to celebrate Earth Day, the unveiling of our garden and sharing my love for chickens.

Yippee!!!

I'm making my own thread.

Someone might misconstrue what I would write on this one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom