What are you doing to become water efficient?

While reading all the posts about people living in hot climates and using A/C, I was wondering if it was possible to collect A/C condensate for use as fresh water for plants, etc... Sounds like you have such a system. And, wholly cow, you are filling up a 5 gallon bucket every 24 hours!? That could feed lots of SIP and hügelkultur raised beds to grow people food.

We habe a central unit which drains to the house drain system which goes to the septic system which leaches to the yard. I wish I could catch this water to feed the flower beds/garden but that would be a Whole lotta trouble. And it's not a really nutritious water either. Basically distilled water whic has very little nutrients/ minerals in it.
I’m leery of using condensate on food plants but I do use it in the xeriscape garden. Five gallons per day is during monsoon season and I’ve had up to ten gallons in a 24 hour period as well. My method is pretty basic…a five gallon bucket under the line it drips from, drag wherever and empty it lol. We don’t do as well with it when it’s hot and dry. In fact there was a bucket sitting there for a year and never needed emptied because it was so hot and dry the water evaporated out of the bucket faster than it filled.

We have a couple of rain barrels set up that provide water for our pets and houseplants, who thrive on it and prefer it to our well water. We also have a dehumidifier in the basement, and we use the water collected in it to the rain water buckets. Would that be considered condensate? Idk.

We have a couple of rain barrels set up that provide water for our pets and houseplants, who thrive on it and prefer it to our well water. We also have a dehumidifier in the basement, and we use the water collected in it to the rain water buckets. Would that be considered condensate? Idk.
I don’t know honestly, maybe research it. Our condensation drains through a pipe and into a bucket. I’ve seen the inside of that pipe before, no thanks even though it gets changed out from time to time. Yours might be a different situation though.

I don’t know honestly, maybe research it. Our condensation drains through a pipe and into a bucket. I’ve seen the inside of that pipe before, no thanks even though it gets changed out from time to time. Yours might be a different situation though.
Okay I will. Thanks.

I bought a dry seperating toilet, but I am the only one using it ( sometimes 😳) it would save so much water, if all 5 of us used it, and I could use the saved water to water the garden ...in some areas here, you are only allowed to us 107 L/day (about 28 gallons)...my family would inhabit a restaurant or something like that :p

I’m using soap nuts in my kitchen so I can reuse that water.
I've never tried that. Do you collect the soapnuts locally? I've only seen the trees at the Desert Museum.
While reading all the posts about people living in hot climates and using A/C, I was wondering if it was possible to collect A/C condensate for use as fresh water for plants, etc... Sounds like you have such a system. And, wholly cow, you are filling up a 5 gallon bucket every 24 hours!? That could feed lots of SIP and hügelkultur raised beds to grow people food.

We habe a central unit which drains to the house drain system which goes to the septic system which leaches to the yard. I wish I could catch this water to feed the flower beds/garden but that would be a Whole lotta trouble. And it's not a really nutritious water either. Basically distilled water whic has very little nutrients/ minerals in it.
We have 2 central air roof units and have them drain into our gutter so they go into our rain tanks. Never knew how much water they pull though.
I bought a dry seperating toilet, but I am the only one using it ( sometimes 😳) it would save so much water, if all 5 of us used it, and I could use the saved water to water the garden ...in some areas here, you are only allowed to us 107 L/day (about 28 gallons)...my family would inhabit a restaurant or something like that :p
I'm going to have to go Google dry separating toilets...sounds interesting. Is there a reason your the only one using it?

I've never tried that. Do you collect the soapnuts locally? I've only seen the trees at the Desert Museum.

We have 2 central air roof units and have them drain into our gutter so they go into our rain tanks. Never knew how much water they pull though.

I'm going to have to go Google dry separating toilets...sounds interesting. Is there a reason your the only one using it?
No, I have to buy. I have read that the trees are quite hearty and should grow in my area, but they get 40 feet tall or so and I don’t have room for that. The use of soap nuts is new to me so I purchased through Amazon. The bag I bought should last me a while, you can use them multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom