What are you doing with leftovers? Share ideas here!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by OccamsTazer, Jan 2, 2010.

1. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I love coming up with good things to do with leftovers. Food waste makes me crazy, and with a household of two, we always have too much of one thing or another. My latest invention is guinea stew. We slaughtered three guineas a couple weeks ago and roasted them. Eventually I made stock from the carcasses and picked all the meat off, but what to do with it? I was sick to death of guinea sandwiches!
    My solution was to make my usual veg soup, but with guinea instead of beef. I start with some stock, add a couple big cans tomatoes, a bit of red wine, a chopped onion, and the meat. I let this go for awhile until it looks promising, then I add whatever I have that sounds good. Carrots, peas, corn, green beans, kidney beans, garbanzos, etc. (but not *all* of those :p)
    I stay away from carby things, but my grandmom always adds potatoes or small pasta at the end.
    Lots of pepper, bay leaves, lots of garlic.

I crave this soup! It is different every time, but the rich, spicy tomato base is always good.

What creative stuff do you guys do to avoid food waste/keep leftovers interesting?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I've never had guinea...what's it like? At what age do you slaughter and do you keep them pinned up so they aren't tough?

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I took my left over stuffing and this cheese mixture we make to make cheese puff pastries (there is always some left over) and pulled out a single turkey breast that I had pieced up and frozed. I pounded the breast flat and then wrapped the stuffing, and cheese with some spices into the turkey and then wrapped the turkey up with a blanket of bacon. It looked like a long tube when done. I baked the whole thing until my thermometer said it was done (about 45 minutes) and let me tell you it was amazing I will do it again for sure!

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    we took left over pork chops last night cut them thin made some rice, added soy and teriyaki, eggs and frozen peas.. It was yummy and the kids loved it...

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    it depends on what my left over is...
    I have ham in the freezer that was from thanksgiving, and a cheese plate that was from christmas, I added some pasta and made homemade mac'n cheese and ham casserole

I had a ton of turkey and boiled potatoes and other veggies from christmas dinner. + about a cup of dices hashbrowns in the freezer + about a cup of frozen corn. Added a can of cream of chicken soup, about 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of milk and mixed all together and made turkey casserole (It was to die for)

left over pasta sauce becomes chili or pasta bake

6. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    What can I do with mashed potatoes? I have LOTS left over. [​IMG]

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:Sheppard's pie

mix them with some sour cream and cream cheese and bake them in the oven, you can freeze this to use as a quick side dish at a later date

8. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    If is poultry I make fruited turkey salad. Seriously we look forward to the next day just to eat this salad.

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Sheppard's pie

mix them with some sour cream and cream cheese and bake them in the oven, you can freeze this to use as a quick side dish at a later date

try a Cottage Pie

Layer in a casserole dish
    -cooked ground beef (or meatloaf)
    -mashed potatoes
    -grated cheddar cheese
    repeat layers

If you have some pasta sauce or tomato sauce, you can add a little of it with the meat layer - just a little, don't get it 'soupy'. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until heated through, cheese is melted & top is lightly browned.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  10. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Quote:My chickens love mashed potatoes. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by