What are you giving up for Lent (if anything)??

addiedunn

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Martinsville, IN
We're two days in and I can't thing of anything...I have this problem every year. When I was in college (a really LONG time ago) a Priest suggested I give up wearing my watch. (I wore it every day). I didn't think that was much to give up, but it really did bug me a lot to not have it on. I don't think I've worn one since.
Don't anybody suggest peanut butter! lol That would be like Miss Prissy giving up baking.
I'm thinking rather than give up something, maybe I start something...like the treadmill.
Anybody got any neat ideas??

Give up BYC!

lau.gif

lau.gif

lau.gif

Just poking fun. None of my Catholic friends ever give up anything they really, really like. In college, my boyfriend gave up meat - but not sex or beer.

when I was working at Dunkin years back we had one customer that would give up coffee every year. He would switch to hot chocolate for Lent. I worked there 4 years and I always knew when Lent began:D

It's terrible I know, but I can't think of anything.

I only drink occasionally and not to excess, I gave up tobacco last September, I prefer water over any other soft drink or beverage. My only vices left are coffee and sweets.

I think I'll settle on sweets as in processes sugars. Fruits are in, everything else is out.

I gave up Catholicism (not for Lent, just in general!) but I enjoy watching my sister in her yearly sacrifice. One year she gave up gossiping (talking about others in any sort of negative light) and it nearly killed her. It was actually a great one for her though, because she became acutely aware of just how much of it she did, and how it was almost an addiction for her, and I think she got a lot out of it. Maybe you're not a gossip (or maybe you are and never realized just how bad?) so perhaps that's not a good one for you. Otherwise, maybe a television fast? Or meat? (I always thought the fish on Fridays thing was sort of a lame "sacrifice," no disrespect!) Good luck in whatever you choose!

Last edited:
My wife gave up eating after supper is done. Usually she makes popcorn and muches on a bowl of that, or a bowl of ice cream.....but now, nothing.

She has more will power than I

Addie, I suggest giving up unnecessary trips in the car. You know like a soda run, or bread, out to eat, movie rental. Do it all at once no exceptions.
smile.png
Another I like is giving up pronouns and using given name for everything. This will slow down conversations, but clarify everything! You could give up TV: names change but most everything important stays the same!

Back
Top Bottom