What are you giving up for Lent (if anything)??

I remember being forced to do that. I usually just gave up a food item I liked. One year I gave up milk, but I quickly changed it to orange juice after I started going through "withdrawals" after only a day without it. I still get that weird, desperate feeling if I go a day without milk.

I do not think that's the best way to go about it . . . giving up things you enjoy that don't hurt anyone or anything. I like the idea of giving up gossiping, because that can be a spiteful, though enjoyable habit, and it would be good to get away from that. Though it would mean more if the habit wasn't immediately taken back up again after lent, but I guess that would just make it like a second New Years resolution.

If you watch television I'd recommend giving up that. I did back in high school, and I couldn't believe how much of my days were reclaimed just by giving up TV. By the end of Lent I found I didn't miss it, and now high school is long gone and I still don't watch television. That was the most worthwhile lent ever.

Quote:
Unnecessary trips in the car? You mean like that trip to your place to buy three more hens?
lau.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif

We have this discussion in class every year since I have a 95% Catholic class,, they come in with ashes after Ash Wednesday and I use it as a lesson. I usually will give up something along with my class and we keep a chart of how long it lasts. Since the idea is to do without something you really are dependent on, or attached to, or addicted to, to be able to say you suffered, they always come up with video games or soda,, something like that. I've given up various snacks or once I did try to give up my hot tea, but then since I'm not Catholic I didn't feel that bad when I didn't even last a week. But when I had to into my class and mark my name off I felt horrible!
I had kids make it without their games or candy, or other things I never they'd make it without. Their parents supported them and let me know they really did do it, and they made it.
I admire those who can do it.

could someone just give a little historical background on lent please?
the closest thing we have is ramadan, and we just fast sunrise to sunset for a month, maybe you could do that
big_smile.png

and by fast I mean no food or drink period.

Back
Top Bottom