What are your best layers???

What a great thread! I really appreciate this information, even if I wasn't the one asking!
wink.png
I have a RIR and she's a goodie for sure. (I have 6 hens) I've been thinking about incorporating maybe 2 more this summer and was wondering about this question myself. I may look into another RIR and a black colored breed (oh, sheesh.. can't remember the name now...
hide.gif
) How's that for a newbie! LOL

Edited to add:

Australorp!!
wink.png

Last edited:
I second the RSL... Excellent layers year round. RIR and SLW are also very productive. All three breeds are very friendly in my experience also.

I noticed some mentions for Barred Rock. Has anyone noticed a difference in egg production between the different strains of Plymouth rock? I have a number of Columbia rocks and was wondering if they will lay the same number of eggs as the Barred.

First I think you have to take into consideration where you live. Some breeds lay better in the winter, while others lay right through a long, very hot summer.

At three years old, my LF brahma girls are still my best layers year-round. Heat doesn't seem to trouble them much and winter not at all. Besides them I have a few turkens that are very good layers of large eggs. All are hatchery quality.

My very best layer is a golden buff that I got from the Meyer Hatchery. She's going on her third year of age and she is still a good layer, rarely skipping a day. She lays a very nice, large brown egg. I would say the second best layer is a Barred Rock that I have.

Back
Top Bottom