What are your best layers???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommto3kiddos, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    We recently rehomed 4 "surprise" Roosters. We have 7 hens left (3 RSL, 3 TT, & 1 Dark Cornish).. I want to add 2 to 3 more hens, but I want good "layers"..

What breed is you best egg producer????

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Hatchery Rhode Island Reds, huge beige egg every day of the year, till they molt. Wait, I have one White Leghorn, she lays a huge white egg every single day. I know this because she is the only white egg layer on the farm. Every day. She is 1 1/2 years old. But looks like a smallish rooster, won't stay in a pen and creates all kinds of havoc on the gardens. HenZ

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Buckeyes;-)

4. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    barred rocks, rhode island reds, buff orpingtons, wyandottes, leghorns, ameraucana, isa browns, sex-links. all good layers all year round! [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    White Leghorns, Red or Black Sex-links, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds.

6. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds.

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My best layers are the ISA Browns and Rhode Island Reds.

8. My RSL's give me an egg a day for the last year. day in day out. and they are very friendly and easy to keep.

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    I would agree with Fishnet. Our RSLs are great layers and very friendly.

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My best layer was a Production Red. She laid a large brown egg everyday no matter the weather. The only time she stopped is when she molted. Then right back at it. We thinned out the flock this past winter and she was one that went. Mostly because she was our biggest eater. A real goat she was. I'll be glad when my bbs orph pullets start to lay so we can have some nice brown eggs again. If feels odd buying eggs at the grocery store and we have chickens. [​IMG] I sell or trade the silkie and sizzle eggs because they are too small for my liking for cooking with unless I want to make pickled eggs. They're great for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by