What are your best layers???

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
We recently rehomed 4 "surprise" Roosters. We have 7 hens left (3 RSL, 3 TT, & 1 Dark Cornish).. I want to add 2 to 3 more hens, but I want good "layers"..

What breed is you best egg producer????

Hatchery Rhode Island Reds, huge beige egg every day of the year, till they molt. Wait, I have one White Leghorn, she lays a huge white egg every single day. I know this because she is the only white egg layer on the farm. Every day. She is 1 1/2 years old. But looks like a smallish rooster, won't stay in a pen and creates all kinds of havoc on the gardens. HenZ

barred rocks, rhode island reds, buff orpingtons, wyandottes, leghorns, ameraucana, isa browns, sex-links. all good layers all year round!
wink.png

My best layer was a Production Red. She laid a large brown egg everyday no matter the weather. The only time she stopped is when she molted. Then right back at it. We thinned out the flock this past winter and she was one that went. Mostly because she was our biggest eater. A real goat she was. I'll be glad when my bbs orph pullets start to lay so we can have some nice brown eggs again. If feels odd buying eggs at the grocery store and we have chickens.
old.gif
I sell or trade the silkie and sizzle eggs because they are too small for my liking for cooking with unless I want to make pickled eggs. They're great for that.

Back
Top Bottom