What are YOUR experiences on how Dogs have changed??

Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Washington State
So I thought this might be a worth while discussion. There's one kinda like this on horses going right now, though I'd like to keep this one civilized
wink.png

How long have you owned dogs and been involved with them? How have your breeds of choice changed or stayed the same? How is veterinary care now compared to _____ years ago? What new things (lets keep "new" meaning about the last 15 years) do you really like and dislike? Do you think that the dog fancy is heading in a (generally) positive or negative direction?

Lets keep this light, please, we don't need arguing. Everyone has an opinion. I already know I'll disagree with some things here, and light debate is ok...insulting comments aren't.

Have fun
big_smile.png

I have owned dogs most of my life. Usually mutts, though right now we have only one mutt, one GSD and one maltese. The current trend I really hate is the "designer" dog: Maltipoo, Scottiepoo, labradoodle, etc. All it is doing is created NON pure breed dogs that LOOK like a pure bred, and it is going to hurt breeders down the line.

Do GSD's EVER stop being goofy?

LOL not really. Really though, there are GSD's who are naturally very serious in all things, that never seen to go through a puppy stage. My own GSD's were always silly and goofy with me but after adulthood very mature and serious with everyone else.

I don't like new hybrids either but I'd much rather own a functional mutt than a purebred with a million genetic disorders. Kudos to my previous purebred minpin. Never again
hmm.png

Quote:
My Maltese was a gift, and we rescued the GSD so not a lot of money went out. Yet. They both are in good health. Vet bills here are astronomical compared to 10 years ago too.

Oh I definately agree with the "designer" dog comment. I do not like them. I dont know if this goes with the whole designer dog thing but I also hate purse dogs.
sickbyc.gif
Why would anyone want a purse dog. Personally I LOVE watching my dog run around enjoying being a dog, doing dog things ( getting muddy, chasing anything that she can, and just running.) Lol! Those poor dog who are purse dogs get to do none of that.
roll.png

I have had dogs all my life. Its kinda been half and half on whether I had purebreeds or mutts. Right now I have a 2 year old American Eskimo
love.gif
and she still acts like she is 6 months old. Lol! I love these dogs and will probably own one for the rest of my life. The vet bills are outrageous! But I understand, they have to charge more because everything is more expensive. Thats probably why my girl hasnt been to the vet in about a year.
hide.gif

I am so jealouse of you with GSD. They are so beautiful and intelligent. My aunt had one and I fell in love with him. They are so sweet and silly. Yes he was silly for his whole life.
smile.png

Things that I like that have changed, better and more progressive health care. Genetic testing and screening thoroughly before breeding. Extensive training and help available widespread to those who want it.

Things that I dislike that have changed, the attitudes and practices of many shelters and animal rescues. In regards that every "cute" animal must be saved and found a good home, no matter if it is in pain, suffering or requires extraordinary effort and expensive care. Years ago If a old, sick, injured dog was dropped off at the pound it was quickly and quietly put to sleep. Money was saved that was put towards fixing and worming the batch of puppies that came in and would find homes quickly.

My most recent experience was bringing in a stray cat with a broken leg, I wasn't going to just let him suffer a slow and painful death if they could put him out of the agony he was in. I get there and see other animals that are even worse off then the cat with the broken infected leg. Serious near deadly debilitating health issues. These animals weren't being put down, yet three young healthy pit bull babies (extremely sweet and gentle I add, they adored my then 3 year old son) were on the last chance block. It sickened me. I would have taken all three of the young pit-bulls home with me then and there, but guess what. Because I brought in a feral stray that was in pain and suffering I can never adopt again, I am totally black listed. It just makes me sick.

I have had dogs all my life, literally.... we got our first dog when my mom was pregnant with me, she grew up with me. She was a chihauhau/ Manchester Terrier cross, was the best dog ever and out up with all my kid stuff (dressing her in doll clothes, coloring her white marking with markers (parents were not amused) I have had mutts and purebreds since. I raised PitBulls for awhile as Hog Dogs, my Stud Dog was the best and sweetest dog ever.

Currently we have 4 Jack Russel Terriers (Shorties so not AKC , but are registered) and a Giant Schnauzer. The Schnauzer was a rescue....

I do not like the "designer" dogs, heck if that was a rage back then, I could have made a fortune.

Vet care has changed as in now they seem to charge for every little thing and also we used to (living in Florida) be able to purchase Rabies over the counter or through a catalog and give the shots ourselves, it always saved me a ton of $$

I really do not have an opinion as to how "dog fancy" is heading. My dogs stay home for the most part except for the occassional trip to the store and the once a month trip for the big guy to get a bath at the local pet store (way easier than doing it at home and affordable)

Grew up with pets, cohabited with dogs, cats, horses and others since adult hood. Have had mixed breeds, and purebreds. Currently have a lab and terrier. So I have had dog(s) from herding, working, sporting, terrier and toy group. What am I missing LOL

Am enjoying the current trend emphasising positive training techniques. Wish more people would be certain they had the time and money before getting a pet.

We had labs when I was growing up. They used to be a compact dog with a wide chest and head. They also didn't seem to have the same sorts of issues with hips, but I might not have been aware of it. The trend in labs seems to be massively tall, long-legged dogs with a much narrower skull. The deep chested water dog seems to be a style of the past. Now males over over 120 pounds are pretty common, but when I was young, they were smaller dogs.

I also see a trend with vets wanting to spay and neuter very young. It used to be common to desex a dog when it was 6-8months old, now vets want to do it at 6-8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom