What are your favorite chicken treats and why?

Best Chicken Treats!

• Total voters
We give them:
Mealworms
Water melon
When it's cold, we give them frozen corn (heated up)
We used to give them cheese, but they got too crazy. They would swarm around the door & if we so much as whisper "cheese" they would go crazy.
Frozen grapes
Lettuce
Kale
Scrambled eggs

My chickens LOVE blueberries! They also really like cantelope and watermelon. When they were tinies, they loved hard boiled eggs and mealworms. They'll eat veggies on occasion and apples, but the blueberries are their faves!

My first flock from chicks, so they didn't have a mom to show them how delicious bugs are. I was surprised, they don't care for dried mealworms. But, they seem to have honed in on some good fresh bug spots. For people food, I like to give them some fruit and veggie scraps. That's hit or miss. They love proteins, eggs and lean meats. Seeds and cracked corn. And since they were pretty young, I've given them herbs like dill and cilantro, which they love, are so good for them, and are fortunately quick and easy to grow in abundance. I'm actually trying to find a spot in my house to try and grow the herbs over winter for them. I don't have much luck with indoor growing though... Oh, they also have beak sensory issues, lol. They don't care for wet or gooey feeling foods on their beaks.

Hey all, I'm curious about chicken treats and if there's any that you've noticed your chickens like more or you think make tastier eggs. I think chicken treats would be nice, but they're so darn expensive!

Also, what are your thoughts on feeding chickens treats and in what frequency should it be done? What is your splurge chicken treat that you do every once in a while and how often do you do it?

Please comment any treats or things that you specifically like!
Go to Walmart in the bird seed area big bag of mealworms are 10 dollars. My favorite thing to get them are live crickets I love to watch them chase them I get 50 at A time

Go to Walmart in the bird seed area big bag of mealworms are 10 dollars. My favorite thing to get them are live crickets I love to watch them chase them I get 50 at A time
Have you seen the generic bags of wild bird seed they have now? Super cheap white with black writing bags. Reminds me of the old generic isle packaging when I was a kid. Some of the ingredients sounded intentionally vague, so I didn't buy it. But I might get a small bag out of curiosity to see what's really in it. It came in 2 sizes.

Have you seen the generic bags of wild bird seed they have now? Super cheap white with black writing bags. Reminds me of the old generic isle packaging when I was a kid. Some of the ingredients sounded intentionally vague, so I didn't buy it. But I might get a small bag out of curiosity to see what's really in it. It came in 2 sizes.
I never given them wild bird seed before I have always gotten pecking blocks from the feed store. Take them 2 months to finish it. It also gives them something to do. Plus wasn't sure if they could eat all the types of seeds in the bags

Of the things I've given my girls, none of the above. My girls prefer steak above all else (duh! :lau) . They've also enjoyed freezer burnt trout, salmon, tuna, fresh watermelon, zucchini, broccoli, tomato and kale.

ETA:... and corn on the cob, raw and cooked.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm curious about chicken treats and if there's any that you've noticed your chickens like more or you think make tastier eggs. I think chicken treats would be nice, but they're so darn expensive!

Also, what are your thoughts on feeding chickens treats and in what frequency should it be done? What is your splurge chicken treat that you do every once in a while and how often do you do it?

Please comment any treats or things that you specifically like!

I give mine some cracked corn a couple times a day. Just a handfull though. It makes a nice change from laying pellets and they love it. Also, I give them any extra veggies or fruits I might have that I don't eat myself. Try not to overdo it on the treats though.

Back
Top Bottom