What are your favorite high protein treats of your chicks?

newbie donna

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
SW Missouri
This afternoon I gave them a boiled egg, mashed to a fine consistency. I put it on a paper plate and then popped it into their brooder. They slept on it, pooped on and then kicked their litter over it as if it were something offensive that needed burying.

What high protein snacks would you recommend, please?

I read where one person suggested canned tuna. Is this safe given the fears of lead poisoning?

if you know where there is a list I could refer to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
donna

once I started giving them construction sand for grit~they loved canned cat food and mealworms! shredded cheese, yogurt.....

Just about everything high in protein and low in salt!

Left over baked fish, cooked ground meat, tuna or salmon canned in water, earthworms or redworms, insects or larva.

I personally do not feed chicken to chicken even though I am sure they would love it...

Do not for get sprouts. Sprouted black oil sunflower is higher in protein!
ON

There aren't many things that gross me out. I do, however, hate handling slugs, mostly b/c the slimy, nasty gunk they leave on you when you pick them up. That said, my flock really seems to enjoy them. It's absolutely nasty, but it seems to make them really happy.

Quote:
ON

Not to sound like a noob, but how do you go about sprouting BOSS? Do you have to use special BOSS, or will any ol' store-bought BOSS work? I guess I would have thought it was treated to stop it from sprouting?

Slugs? Wow, that explains it! I never connected the decrease in the slugs around our porch with the chickens! They must be eating them. Now I just have another reason to heart the chickie gals
love.gif

Quote:
ON

Not to sound like a noob, but how do you go about sprouting BOSS? Do you have to use special BOSS, or will any ol' store-bought BOSS work? I guess I would have thought it was treated to stop it from sprouting?

I buy it cheap in 50 lb sacks. To my knowledge the only bird seed treated to not sprout is thistle. I have never had BOSS that did not sprout.

I sprout lots for 36 birds. so I use 5 gallon pails one with small holes drilled in the bottom for drainage that goes inside the other pail. I soak the seeds or grains over night in water, then rinse them and drain the water. Next simply rinse and drain twice a day for several days until they sprout!
You can do it on a smaller scale with a mason jar and a panty hose or any kind of screen across the mouth to facilitate draining.

My birds love love love sprouts.

ON

Last edited:
Organics North

Thanks for the info. I just bought a 50# sack, I'll have to try it. Maybe I'll do it in Mason jars to get my little girl involved. Whatever she can sprout, she can give the ladies (and boys). She likes to be involved and that sounds like something she could handle. Awesome.

My favorite high protein, special treat (and it appears to be that of the chicks AND chickens) is shredded mozzarella cheese.

The daily treat for my grown up chickens (and ducks) is BOSS. I, too, buy it in bulk. Now I'm gonna have to start sprouting some of it! Thanks, Organic North!!!!

My chickies love, love, love scrambled eggs. Maybe you should try that instead of hard boiled? It creates a riot if I put it on one plate so I have to scatter them around to prevent fighting over the bits of egg! I have 47 chicks, almost three weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom