What are your favorite meat birds??

Comment above edited. Flaggin so @JacinLarkwell and @Molpet are alerted to the change. This is why we measure and write things down - our memory can deceive.
That's smaller than I thought they would be. I haven't weighed any of my meat mutts hens, I guess I need to.

That's smaller than I thought they would be. I haven't weighed any of my meat mutts hens, I guess I need to.
Obviously, me too! My project birds are all visually bigger - at least the ones beign spared culling - so there's something to work with here, but my overall impression of Hoovers re their Breeds is "adequate at best, in no way exceptional". **IF** I bring in additional genetics via an order (likely not, this coming year, maybe next), I'm considering either Cackle or McMurray. Cackle is currently every so slightly in the lead based on anecdotal reports here on BYC over the last months, but that may shift once I settle on breeds providing genes beneficial to my project. We aren't there yet.

More weight to the observation that the BSL-based dual purpose birds are better weight than the RSL-based birds, and I can't look at my Rainbows without thinking they started when some RSL met an accomodating rooster they weren't supposed to...

No. At least, not in my view. They peaked early-ish. I want to say most were laying around 22 weeks, and at about 5#. They've put on some weight since, but it wasn't quick.

I'll go grab one and weigh it. Be back to edit this comment.

/edit grabbed a couple. My memory was in error. Current weights range from 4.72# to just over 5.1# hens. So they must have peaked around 4.5#, not 5#, and drifted upwards since.
Dang. Think I'll stick with other breeds then since they'll weigh roughly the same anyways then

Obviously, me too! My project birds are all visually bigger - at least the ones beign spared culling - so there's something to work with here, but my overall impression of Hoovers re their Breeds is "adequate at best, in no way exceptional". **IF** I bring in additional genetics via an order (likely not, this coming year, maybe next), I'm considering either Cackle or McMurray. Cackle is currently every so slightly in the lead based on anecdotal reports here on BYC over the last months, but that may shift once I settle on breeds providing genes beneficial to my project. We aren't there yet.

More weight to the observation that the BSL-based dual purpose birds are better weight than the RSL-based birds, and I can't look at my Rainbows without thinking they started when some RSL met an accomodating rooster they weren't supposed to...
My white Orpington from McMurray are impressive. Took a bit of time to get there, but I quite like them now. Not sure how that color would play though with what you're looking for. I think it's recessive

I have Dixie Rainbows from Hoover hatchery, they are a Hybrid but the hens lay a good amount of eggs and the roosters dress out between 4 to 6 pounds at 16 weeks, they are a nice calm bird and grow quickly
If we aren't imposing to much, can you weigh a few of your DR hens, and provide an age as well for them??? Also, do you free range, tractor, or free choice their food ration? Management methods being a big factor in early weight gain.

Well, mosaics are kinda neat for their dark skin. I have one that if he doesn't go to my neighbor, I'll be a bit excited to use

Naked Necks don't have as Dense feathering so they're easier for us since we hand pluck.

Oohh that’s neat about the dark skin! I’ll keep that in mind!

Naked necks are so funny 😂 do they get to a decent butcher size? We don’t have equipment, but a local co-op rents it all out for $25 for two days! So we will be using a tumbler for plucking.

My white Orpington from McMurray are impressive. Took a bit of time to get there, but I quite like them now. Not sure how that color would play though with what you're looking for. I think it's recessive
No more white, thanks. Not dominant, not recessive. ;) Gold birds with black pattern is the goal. The only reason I'm not culling out the whites now is because I need the eggs, and a few carry some size from the CX hen that was their mother/grandmother. But their time is coming.

Oohh that’s neat about the dark skin! I’ll keep that in mind!

Naked necks are so funny 😂 do they get to a decent butcher size? We don’t have equipment, but a local co-op rents it all out for $25 for two days! So we will be using a tumbler for plucking.
That's a great price.

It depends on the strain. My hens are smaller, but one makes decent sons (I'll weigh him with a picture). I currently have a beast of a cockerel in with my hens to try and up the size a bit more.

I'll try to weigh a mosaic or two too and add pictures

No more white, thanks. Not dominant, not recessive. ;) Gold birds with black pattern is the goal. The only reason I'm not culling out the whites now is because I need the eggs, and a few carry some size from the CX hen that was their mother/grandmother. But their time is coming.
Okay. Would you be opposed to Hoover's birds? I can try and weigh my GLB Wyandotte if you're interested. She's looking mice sized

Back
Top Bottom