What are your favorite tips for a tidy coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TinyLittleFarm, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Here is what I have in my big coop. And it works perfect! I love it! My husband desined it for me. I heat my coop when it gets below 20° but it does freeze here all winter. Any how the poo has always slid off the metal and out the 'poo' door easily for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is when it was new.... its a little more 'chicken pooed' now [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller

Quote:Oooh I LOVE it. just run a scraper down the tray and out the poop door..... Very very good. and its set up so the chickens can face either way.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    We never get that cold (only a few below freezing days a year) but we do have vinyl flooring and several coats of gray porch paint on the walls. You can also paint the floor then cut large pieces of vinyl that come up (no glue to fail) and just put back in as you would a tray. I would think it would not crack like plastic--no experience though just a theory.

Everything comes off clean with the floor/porch paint on the walls. We have our roost 18" away from the walls and never get poo on it --ever. For the floor--I cover the vinyl with shavings and just brush it away easily every day or too. I would think frozen poo would be tough but the shavings should help it slide off if you clean it frequently. The recommendation of a heater sounds like a helpful idea too! Good luck--let us know if you find the best workable plan! [​IMG]

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Songster

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    perchie.girl :

Quote:Oooh I LOVE it. just run a scraper down the tray and out the poop door..... Very very good. and its set up so the chickens can face either way.

Thank you. I usually use a small shovel and the poo always seems to clump together in the winter which helps it slid out in big chunks [​IMG] kinda easier in the winter to keep clean really.​

5. mjweav

mjweav In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Is vinyl flooring the best?

6. GreenGables

GreenGables Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    Mjweav, I have a vinyl floor in my hen house and find it very easy to clean. I cover it with pine shavings, scoop the poop, and when it's time to wash it clean it's easy. I use a natural germicide. Ta Da [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: