What are your hatch rates with shipped Silkie eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GJ_Kate, Apr 11, 2011.

1. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Just wondering. Are they extra delicate? This is the first time I've incubated any shipped eggs and I received 9 nicely packaged eggs, but when I candled, all but two had detached air cells. [​IMG] I set them on 4/6 and I candled today and one is definetly developing with another possible one. The rest unfortunately don't seem to be doing anything. I really had high hopes for these. They're for my son's first 4H project.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I got eggs about 2 weeks ago. 11/14 grew, 10 are still kicking. Then I got another batch of 10, I believe only 4 are growing.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I had about a 60% hatch rate with shipped Silkie eggs last year, but I haven't tried any so far this year. They did much better than the Serama eggs that I tried (only 3 out of 18 hatched with them & I lost one of those w/in 24 hrs). It seems like Silkie eggs are just a little more sensitive, I guess. Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    I just got a 46% hatch rate on shipped silkie eggs

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I just got 60% on shipped eggs. They were showgirl though. I have been getting 100% on non shipped eggs either mine or my friends both silkie and showgirl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by