What are YOUR laws?

Quote:
Great website! Not totally conclusive to the whole state of WA but good enough. Alot of those places are within 30 minutes of me. Maybe something like this website can be a sticky post?
hmm.png

Quote:
OH MY! That is terrible! I'm so sorry. I hope you are having it investigated. I commend you to staying with your focus and trying to change the ordinance.
Hang in there!
Donna

We live in the city. They allow 3-4 hens no roosters. I have 15 hens currently and three ducks
hmm.png
I have no roosters. We have dogs barking constantly so my hens are pretty quiet. And they make not a peep at night so my neighbors don't care. Nobody has complained.

Princeton, Illinois - Poultry may not roam on other peoples property, and may not disturb neighbors with undue smell or sound. No slaughtering withen town limits allowed.

In the city of Fort Worth Texas -

Lots under 1/2 an acre - up to 12 chickens
Lots 1/2 acre to 1 acre - up to 25 chickens
Lots 1 acre and above - up to 50 chickens

Chickens have to be cooped at all times, and coops must be 100 feet from any residence.

No restrictions on roosters as long as there isn't a noise complaint from neighbors. Then that becomes a whole other issue.

In Montpelier VT (population 8000, with a dense downtown core, and some more rural areas; 20 acre lots are possible within the city limits. My own lot is 0.11 acres.)

Chickens are permitted; they are supposed to be kept in an enclosure. There is no mention of number of chickens or roosters. Therefore unlimited number of chickens, and roosters are OK. Presumably other noise/nuisance ordinance rules apply, that could come into play if there is a problem. No commercial slaughtering of chickens (if you do it for your own use, I think it is ok). No letting chickens run loose on the city streets.

rozmiarek - so sorry to hear about your chickens.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Cave Creek, AZ. This is my back yard...Any trespassers comin' round trying to complain will have to find me first. The local general store sells a little sign, like a road sign that says, "Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be shot again!"

9782_m_f1a34bc99726a94c04689d74e8832abf.jpg

I live in South County RI (sorry I can't be more specific but I don't trust the internet enough), and there is nothing against chickens that I know of. There are about.. 4/5 people that have them on my street. It's very musical around here I guess, and there's not trouble about it. One of my older and more "unique" neighbors was kind enough to tell us that he thinks our roosters are fine but us and our dogs don't belong around here. As far as knowing sometihng specific, maybe you'll have more luck than I trying to find something on it.

Spotsylvainia County VA

Sec. 4-23. Killing or injuring livestock or poultry.
(a) It shall be the duty of the animal control officer or other officer who may find a dog in the act of killing or injuring livestock or poultry to kill such dog forthwith, whether such dog bears a license tag or not. Any other person finding a dog committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section shall have the right to kill such dog on sight, as shall any owner of livestock or his agent finding a dog chasing livestock on land utilized by the livestock when the circumstances show that such chasing is harmful to the livestock.
(b) The general district court or any other court shall have the power to order the animal control officer or other officer to kill any dog known to be a confirmed livestock or poultry killer. Any dog killing poultry for the third time shall be considered a confirmed poultry killer.
(c) If any person, including the animal control officer, has reason to believe that any dog is killing livestock or committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section, he shall apply to a magistrate of the county, who shall issue a warrant requiring the owner or custodian, if known, to appear before the judge of the general district court at the time and place named therein, at which time evidence shall be heard. If it shall be determined by the court that such dog is a livestock killer or has committed any of the depredations mentioned in this section, the dog shall be ordered (i) euthanized immediately by the animal control officer or other officer designated by the judge of the general district court or (ii) removed to another state which does not border on the commonwealth. Any dog ordered removed which is later found in the commonwealth shall be ordered by a court to be euthanized immediately.
(Code 1980, § 4-16; Ord. of 8-28-84(3); Ord. No. 4-2, 6-1-93; Ord. No. 4-13, 8-11-98)
State law references: Similar provisions, Code of Virginia, § 3.1-796.116

Back
Top Bottom