What are your thoughts on buying frozen fruits from the store, and what would you recommend.?

khloee

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
I've given my birds lots of left over fruit and veggies that my family cannot eat. Now since it's summer and hot (temps in the 90's). I give them fresh cold water everyday and give them cool yogurt. I've thought about maybe frozen fruits from the store. I've never done that before, what are you're recommendations.

Mine like the Cherry Berry frozen fruit blend from Walmart. Watermelon is the ultimate favorite for hot weather with my girls, though. They obliterate the melon and eat it all the way down to the rind!

Mine like the Cherry Berry frozen fruit blend from Walmart. Watermelon is the ultimate favorite for hot weather with my girls, though. They obliterate the melon and eat it all the way down to the rind!
Yes, watermelon is definitely a favorite with my chickens, too! Everything else is second to that. Once they even ate the rind. I have never actually tried giving frozen fruits, but it sounds like a good idea.

Do you let the frozen fruits thaw before giving it to them or do you just let them have at it?

I put mine in a bowl with a little bit of cool water. The fruit was frozen into a solid block so I just left it as is and they pecked away at it throughout the day.
Such a good idea! I will have to try this. I'm already positive my girls will love this.

We've tried a variety of frozen treats, but most of our comes from scraps we save and freeze. This includes brown/bruised spots on peaches and apples, strawberry tops, watermelon rinds (with a bit of pink) and wrinkly grapes. So far the winner is grapes and watermelon with strawberry following behind.

I give my flock frozen fruit from the store all the time there favorites are blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and the ultimate is frozen watermelon but you have to watch you dont give them to much watermelon it will give them the runs

I give my flock frozen fruit from the store all the time there favorites are blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and the ultimate is frozen watermelon but you have to watch you dont give them to much watermelon it will give them the runs
Thank you very helpful. My girls are usually a bit skeptical about new foods but end up loving just about everything I give them.

Thank you very helpful. My girls are usually a bit skeptical about new foods but end up loving just about everything I give them.
I also like to puree them and freeze them and then give it to my flock I have duck's and they have trouble eating the berries frozen just as they come so i have a special pan than i make fruit cubes with

Back
Top Bottom