What Assorted Bantams Did I Get??

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
I started a thread just asking about one chick, and I didn’t post pictures, and then realized I don’t know for sure what they are except for the silkie and OEGB.

Ok so we have a silkie, one of what we believe is a silver duckwing old English bantam, one of what we believe is a black-tailed Japanese bantam, one that we think might be a d'uccle, and 2 we think *could* be mille fleur d'uccles.

Chick #1- The White Silkie
img_2897-jpg.1282877

img_2891-jpg.1282874

Chick #2- White, with two verythin black/greyish lines down the back and some very small hintsof grey specks intermittently. Bearded, feathered legs. Maybe some type of d'uccle? It's not porcelain because we have had them and it is not purple enough.It's probably hard to see the very small hints of grey specks/stripes in the pics.

img_2912-jpg.1282879
img_2910-jpg.1282881
img_2880-jpg.1282887

Chick #3- White, clean legs, nobeard. What we believe to be awhite black-tailed Japanese bantam:

img_2924-jpg.1282893
img_2923-jpg.1282894
img_2922-jpg.1282895

Chick #4- Chipmunk pattern, dark eyeliner and stripe (girl?), clean legs, no beard obviously... what we believe to be a silverduckwing old English bantam. We got a boy last year, looked just like this only not quite as dark and I don't think he had eyeliner. We are hoping this one can be his companion! He needs a girl his size lol:

img_2919-jpg.1282898
img_2918-jpg.1282900
img_2868-jpg.1282901

Chick #5- One of the mystery chicks. Feathered feet, no beard apparent yet. Mille fleur d'uccle? I thought they were bearded? But it doesn't look like a Brahma does it?

img_2931-jpg.1282905
img_2929-jpg.1282906
img_2933-jpg.1282908

Chick #6- Almost identical tochick #5-- actually, I can't tellthem apart very well in the pictures! So... a couple might be the same. But they look a lot alike.

img_2926-jpg.1282909
img_2933-jpg.1282912
img_2931-jpg.1282913
img_2929-jpg.1282914

What are your thoughts????

Yes they all have single combs, except for the silkie who has a walnut.

I don’t know for sure, but I know our TSC a lot of the time sources from Hoover’s. I may have to ask where they got their bantams.

Ok so it’s interesting that you think they are Brahma! Can I ask why you think that?

Also as far as the chipmunk I’m pretty sure it’s an OEGB just because it’s so so tiny and looks just like the one we got there last year.

Thanks!

If it has a straight comb then it's not a Brahma. It doesn't look like a Cochin either. The lighting makes it really hard to tell what the colors are. They could be Mille Fleur booted bantams. #2 could be a white d'Uccle, which is really pretty. If you can find out which hatchery, that could help narrow it down.

Attachments

• IMG_20180301_093717598.jpg
    IMG_20180301_093717598.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 9
The lighting makes it really hard to tell what the colors are.

Sorry, it is kind of hard to tell. They are sort of calico colored. Gray and orange and white mixed together. And some black on the feathers.

#1. White Silkie
#2. Porcelain d'Uccle
#3. Possibly a Japanese, does it have short legs?
#4. Most likely Black Breasted Red Old English Game bantam
#5. With no beard, and a single comb, looks to be a Mille Fleur Booted bantam
#6. Mille Fleur Booted bantam

They're CUTE!!! :love

~Alex

Thanks :D They are cuties! I do think #3 is a Japanese, that was my best guess too. It does have short, clean legs. Can I ask why you think #4 is going to be a black breasted red OEGB? I was guessing Silver Duckwing, but I don't really know how to tell the difference. We got a Silver Duckwig OEGB last year.

As far as chick #2-- We have had porcelain D'uccle chicks last year, and they were colored wayyyy different than this one is. They were lavender colored with orange on their heads. This one really has me perplexed because it looks to be white with gray/lavender stripes. The feathers coming in look lavender so far! I don't know. Either way it's going to be a pretty bird though!

You're welcome! :)
Sounds like a BTW Japanese, then, their legs are very distinctive length. :) Only reason I hesitated is because there are so many light-colored breeds out there, it's hard to be sure at such a young age. ;)
Because (from what the picture shows, at least), it's your typical brownish wildtype, while Silver Duckwings are lighter with more contrast. :) I've raised both, they look nothing alike. :D Both are equally adorable, though, my goodness! :love
There is such a thing as Self-Blue d'Uccles, which would be more of a "lavender." Keep in mind, though, that chicks within the same breed and variety can vary in down color. :) I'm still betting on Porcelain, which tends to be more widespread than Self-Blue, but time will tell! ;)

~Alex

You're welcome! :)
Sounds like a BTW Japanese, then, their legs are very distinctive length. :) Only reason I hesitated is because there are so many light-colored breeds out there, it's hard to be sure at such a young age. ;)
Because (from what the picture shows, at least), it's your typical brownish wildtype, while Silver Duckwings are lighter with more contrast. :) I've raised both, they look nothing alike. :D
There is such a thing as Self-Blue d'Uccles, which would be more of a "lavender." Keep in mind, though, that chicks within the same breed and variety can vary in down color. :) I'm still betting on Porcelain, which tends to be more widespread than Self-Blue, but time will tell! ;)

~Alex

Ok interesting! Noting all of this :) I will update when they are old enough to tell for sure!

Back
Top Bottom