What bait to use for a MINK?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Duck/GooseCRAZY, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Duck/GooseCRAZY

Duck/GooseCRAZY In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Natchitoches
    I was wondering if anyone has ever trapped a mink and if so, what bait did you use? I have heard to use sardines for skunks, cat food for raccoons but, any ideas for a mink??

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Same thing. The stinky stuff attracks wildlife. Tuna, sardines, fish from a pond...whatever.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Fish, fresh or canned, honey or sugar covered vegetables, smoked fish, cooked fatty meat, crisp bacon, watermelon, sweet corn... But if you're using a live trap be sure to set it on a piece of wood, as Mink will dig the dirt up under the trap and possibly trip it.
    IMHO, a #110 Conibear would be your best bet. Find the hole and set it right on it. One quick snap and problem solved. [​IMG] Best of luck to ya! Keep us updated!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  4. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    I just heard of a fly killer that works on everything. It is called Golden Marlin or something like that 1 teaspoon to 1/2 cup of milk and will kill everything that eats it. The Amish use it all the time i was told. They say Possums and Coons will die 6 ft from eating it so be very careful if you use if.

5. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    Quote:Um, chicken? [​IMG]

6. jhm47

jhm47 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Mink like fish, fresh or canned, bloody meat, eggs, anything high in protein. Can't imagine them eating vegetable matter.

Mink are very hard to catch. You might have the best luck with a live trap that is well camouflaged.

7. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The BEST bait for mink is a mouse. Trapped many of them and all I used for bait was mice.

8. beckt

beckt Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    We used chicken gizzard tied with very strong fishing line in a live trap. Never had any luck with anything else.

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Mink prefer to kill their own food over finding bait. If you do want to use live bait then use fresh flesh from a rabbit or something like that. Tuna and stuff like that might work but not as effectively - if you want to be sure use live bait or the best lure is mink gland and fish oil...with a 110 Conibear

Family of trappers here... [​IMG]

When you catch it, use it, don't throw away the pelt. Mink fur is the best! [​IMG] Good luck!!!!!!!!

-and store the new mink gland from your catch for future use.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  10. Duck/GooseCRAZY

Duck/GooseCRAZY In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Natchitoches
    well, grabbed cat food (beef and liver) and (tuna and chicken) and smoked sardines, and tuna in oil. I am ITCHING to go out there. If that doesn't work. I will resort to the other suggestions. The live bait thing, I'm not sure if I could do that. I would feel so guilty. But, now a mouse would be a different story. I could SO do that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: