WHAT BASIC THINGS MUST A BEGINNER KNOW TO START RAISING QUAIL?

Kalunga Pharms

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
What are some of the things I am supposed supposed to know as a quail enthusiast planning to start raising quail? What things can't I afford to be in the dark about? 😁

What are some of the things I am supposed supposed to know as a quail enthusiast planning to start raising quail? What things can't I afford to be in the dark about? 😁
You're gonna need high protein feed. When I had quail, I used Game Bird Starter (around 26% protein) for their entire lives. Or you could use turkey starter if your local feed store has it.
Their feed should be at LEAST 22%, but I would get 28% if it is available.
They need high protein feed because their eggs have much more protein than chicken eggs (by the ounce).

You should keep them in a good sized enclosure, and let them out at least a couple times a week. When you let them out, it should be a short run (maybe 3 - 4 ft tall) with sturdy netting so no predators get them during the day. The bottom of the run should be open so they can hang around in the grass.
I used to keep them in the enclosure all morning, then in the afternoon I let them out, and in the evening (right before sunset) I put them back into their stand up enclosure.

Quail eggs are considered a delicacy in some cultures and regions, so if you have excess eggs, you might be able to sell them for quite a bit, considering their size.

Here are just a few facts on quail:

The same hen will lay the same speckled pattern on their egg EVERY TIME THEY LAY!

The cockerel (male) quail, DO crow, but it's shorter and quieter compared to most chickens.

Quail reach maturity at around 6-8 weeks, meaning they could be ready to LAY and ready to be BUTCHERED.

Quail CANNOT live with chickens or any other fowl.

Good luck with your birds :) ❤️
Keep us posted

You're gonna need high protein feed. When I had quail, I used Game Bird Starter (around 26% protein) for their entire lives. Or you could use turkey starter if your local feed store has it.
Their feed should be at LEAST 22%, but I would get 28% if it is available.
They need high protein feed because their eggs have much more protein than chicken eggs (by the ounce).

You should keep them in a good sized enclosure, and let them out at least a couple times a week. When you let them out, it should be a short run (maybe 3 - 4 ft tall) with sturdy netting so no predators get them during the day. The bottom of the run should be open so they can hang around in the grass.
I used to keep them in the enclosure all morning, then in the afternoon I let them out, and in the evening (right before sunset) I put them back into their stand up enclosure.

Quail eggs are considered a delicacy in some cultures and regions, so if you have excess eggs, you might be able to sell them for quite a bit, considering their size.

Here are just a few facts on quail:

The same hen will lay the same speckled pattern on their egg EVERY TIME THEY LAY!

The cockerel (male) quail, DO crow, but it's shorter and quieter compared to most chickens.

Quail reach maturity at around 6-8 weeks, meaning they could be ready to LAY and ready to be BUTCHERED.

Quail CANNOT live with chickens or any other fowl.

Good luck with your birds :) ❤️
Keep us posted
Wow! That's something that will definitely make a difference in my experience with them when I start. I have turkeys that I mix Gamebird Starter and Grower for so my quail would be well to go. I appreciate you, man! More grease to your elbow. 💪

Back
Top Bottom