What bedding do you use in your coop??

In my coop, I use pine shavings. They absorb moisture well and does not mold. I live in swamp east Missouri; high humidity. I also put mint leaves, and other herbs I can spare in the coop; it helps with flies, mice, and smell. I use the deep method and only clean out the coop every 6 months. I put the old shavings in a large compost barrel and water and stir it once every two weeks or so. Then spread it in my veg garden in early spring before the first discing.
In the run, I use straw hay; straw seems to work better out side. Doesn't get as mildew as it does when used inside. It breaks down with 6 months so I just put another bale in the run and let the girls stir and spread the straw around the run.

I generally use shredded paper because it is easy to take out just the mess and leave the clean stuff. I get it from my mum's office and the tip.

I use hardwood shavings (not sawdust) from my woodworking hobby. Seems to work just fine.
big_smile.png

I don't get it! I use desert sand. I still need to rake almost every day! What is deep litter? How are the rice hulls used? How much? I just never used items like this in my runs. My one coop gets grass hay which I need to change minimum every three days! My nest boxes get grass hay as well. Help is appreciated ya all!
frow.gif

@Blooie

Just wondering, I have a run with a water problem right now. (built in a hurry, early winter,after dog died, grading not finished). Since the ground is still wet and/or frozen here, I only can get my hands on dead leaves, tree branches and twigs in various states of decay and of course pooped up pine shavings. Lots of grass clippings will be available in a month or two. I am looking to add sand, our property is mixed, clay and sand. Will take some work to locate the sand areas. The one area I know has sand is being used by resident fox, hence the run. :(   I am working on trapping and killing fox but meantime, chickens are in mud up to their ankles! I have a "wandering" compost pile where I can get old chicken bedding, rain and snow washed, with less nitrogen, better for the birds? Have to clean bedding on wooden coop floor every few days right now, not sure I want to put what is that dirty, out in the run directly. What do you recommend?

We use PDZ for both the coop and run (coop currently 6x4 and run 12x4). Takes less than 10 min/week to clean the whole thing back to pristine, and no smell and very few flies.

I have 2 ducks and I just use medicated straw. I put more in the nesting boxes though to make it comfier when they're laying {which they started two days ago!}. Nothing fancy and you can get it everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom