What bedding do you use in your coop??

I used to use straw, and cleaned the coop out every day. But we ran out of straw too quickly, so we switched to sand. The sand adsorbs wetness, and it isn't dusty. I still use straw in my nest boxes, because the chickens don't like to nest in sand. I still clean the coop everyday, but with sand, it takes a shorter amount of time.

What kind of sand? We are using washed yellow construction sand. We've had 3 chickens die with respiratory problems and wondered if it has something to do with the sand. We are still using it but we're adding more ventilation to see if it makes any difference. I agree about how easy it is for cleaning.

What kind of sand? We are using washed yellow construction sand. We've had 3 chickens die with respiratory problems and wondered if it has something to do with the sand. We are still using it but we're adding more ventilation to see if it makes any difference. I agree about how easy it is for cleaning.

Use real river sand. Construction sand is often pulverized rocks containing silica. That is what is ruining your chickens respiratory systems.
Have you ever noticed the dust that comes up when you have poured and spread that sand?

Last edited:
I've been unable to find river sand in my area. That's why I've been using the construction sand. I guess I'll just have to keep looking. Thank you.

I use a deep litter method with sand in my coop and straw in the nesting boxes. My run is a combo of what ever yard scraps I have, sand, dirt and straw in the places my girls scratch it to. I am very happy with the sand. I started the sand in the Fall , and just cleaned it for the first time in April. No smells at all. What I pulled out of the coop I put in my summer garden.

Last edited:
I use pine savings and straw. I also put the used sacks of feed I cut them open and make two halts then I put one half down on the floor under the roosts. They poop on the bags and I take it out every day and shake it in the trash or compost pile. Note I use the feed sacks that have the slick stuff on it. I replace with a new bag every week. I only have six chickens and my coop can hold eight
1f413.png
1f414.png
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f425.png

I have used everything from cat litter to pine straw and have found, I think, the best bedding so far.
My husband has a work shop and works on wood products all the time. The shavings from his planer
have worked well and the chickens seem to like it the best. I am pretty happy with the shavings.

I use the planer shavings in the nest boxes as well and it seems to be the best thing I have found for the boxes.

I use hay in nesting boxes, pine shavings on floor, and play sand in the tray under the roosts. I keep a lidded bucket and a cat litter scoop
To scoop the poop everyday. Quick and easy clean up.

Back
Top Bottom