What bedding do you use?

In the coop I use sand.
In the outdoor run there isn't anything, just grass.
In the garage run (for winter) I use shavings.

My favourite is sand so far!
big_smile.png

I'll put about 6 inches of sand on the floor and pine shavings, in the winter I'll have 12 -14 inches on the floor, in gets mixed in with straw I use in the nest boxes. The reason for the added bedding is to keep them active and scratching in the winter, they love to hunt for the meal worms I give them. Summer is another thing. Our chickens actually make us money,about the only thing that does not actually make money is our goats, but they do pay for themselves and keep us in milk and cheese.

For those of you who use dried leaves, how quickly do they typically break down? I am moving my girls to a coop (from their tractor) for the winter and was debating between straw/hay and dried leaves and grass clippings.

Thanks,
Robin

I do Deep Litter on a dirt floor in the coop. I start out with shreded paper (free from work), put straw over that, then lots of pine shavings over that. I will add shavings as needed, and also straw that we baled with the grain still in. They love to dig in it to find the grain. The run is sand, and I have bags of grass clippings that I put some in the run for them to dig through from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom