What bedding is best for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DBeckmann, Mar 12, 2017.

1. DBeckmann

DBeckmann New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Louisville, KY
    I plan on getting chicks in the Spring to start my flock, but I'm a little set back on bedding. I don't really want to use pine, but will if I have to. What other options are there?

2. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    If you don't want to use pine shavings, maybe consider absorbent pine pellets. Or sand that you can clean like a cat litter box. Some people manage with newspaper and paper towels for a while. Old bath towels that can be washed off, though they shouldn't shed fibers or threads that the birds can eat. Straw isn't very absorbent, but it's been used for ages. Someone here was posting recently about using peat moss. I like the large pine shavings myself, but they definitely aren't the only option. :) Good luck with your chicks!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not sure if you mean pine shavings or pine needles, either could work. Pine or aspen shavings are probably the most popular, but some people use sand, dirt, hay, straw, dried tree leaves, Spanish moss, shredded paper, cloth of various types, and I’m sure many other things. I use ½” hardware cloth but my brooder is in the coop. I use bins underneath to catch the droppings, not sure how well that would work in your house.

Where are my manners, welcome to the forum! :frow I almost did not notice.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. DBeckmann

DBeckmann New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Louisville, KY
    Thank you guys so much! It's just that I have a very elderly cat (20yrs old) who mainly lives outside, and her allergies get irritated easily.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    aspen shavings are claimed to be scent free and allergy free FWIW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by