What bedding should I put in the dog house for the ducks?

FourDucks

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
Las Vegas Nevada
Hi All!

I recently purchased this dog house, which just came in today : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOJU6W8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was wondering what sort of bedding I should put in it? I also have 50LBS of food grade diatomaceous earth that I wanted to include with whatever bedding I was advised to use. What ratio of DE should I use with, say, Pine shavings? Any advice is greatly appreciated :) The ducks are free range in my yard during the day and then will be put in their dog kennel run at night with the dog house in there as well.

Thanks so much!! :D

Thank you for the response! How do you go about cleaning your dog house?? What kind of material is it? The dog house I have is made of treated wood.

Thank you for the response! How do you go about cleaning your dog house?? What kind of material is it? The dog house I have is made of treated wood.
So is mine. I use an old metal dust pan. Once a month I totally clean it out on a hot day and hose it out. let it dry and put in more bedding.
Pine shavings are the best for mine.

My wooden dog house is similar to yours. I use pine or alder shavings and pine pellets on the bottom. I'm using the pellets because my Broodies use it for their shared nest and they don't leave it to potty in it. The pellets are really absorbent and turn into loose friable pine material once they become wet.

The house bedding just stays in there. It doesn't spill out and the ducks don't track it out.

I stir it around once daily and when it looks dirty I change it out. I use a tiny horticulture rake to pull it all out. Then I mix and incorporate in to the pen bedding. The pen bedding is pine pellets and one bag of corn cob pellets mixed together.

Ducks seem super happy with it.

I've also used chopped super dry barley straw. Ducks like both about the same but I prefer the shavings and pellets

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom