What bedding u use for your chickens?

Has anyone used potting mix in their run? There is not much soil where I live so I grow a lot of stuff in containers using potting mix. Every year I refresh the mix by adding compost and fertilizing. I just had a thought of cycling it through my run to refresh it every year.

Aspen shavings in the coop and alfalfa hay in the nesting box is perfect for me. I’m in South Louisiana, and it stays remarkably dry. Sand is a disaster pretty much in any climate that’s damp.

As long as there are no additives, like perlite, fertilizers, etc.
Well, potting mix typically contains all those things, so if that is dangerous to the chickens, then it is a no-go. The fertilizers would be long gone at the end of the growing season, but perlite is inert and sticks around forever.

Another option would be to buy bags of black dirt. I'd just rake the top layer out and replace it once a year. The dirt I remove can be used to top-dress my berry bushes. My run is covered and well-drained around the perimeter, so I don't need to worry about it getting muddy.

Well, potting mix typically contains all those things, so if that is dangerous to the chickens, then it is a no-go. The fertilizers would be long gone at the end of the growing season, but perlite is inert and sticks around forever.

Another option would be to buy bags of black dirt. I'd just rake the top layer out and replace it once a year. The dirt I remove can be used to top-dress my berry bushes. My run is covered and well-drained around the perimeter, so I don't need to worry about it getting muddy.
Why do you need to add dirt?

I am also curious, if u wish to add something I would add limestone screenings that they can scratch up Peck at and the gravelly bits can be good for them.

My kiddos love digging in my pile of limestone screenings I use for laying paving bricks. They are so naughty they have scratched up the screenings between bricks in my barn! Bad chickies! That's my job to fix tomorrow....

Dirt is in very short supply where I live. Most of the soil around here got scraped away about 15,000 years ago. One end of the chicken run is exposed bedrock, and the other end it is only about 2-3 inches deep. If I rake out all the existing dirt and poop, there would be nothing left. That would be hard on the chicken's feet, plus the point is I want chickens to build soil for me.

Dirt is in very short supply where I live. Most of the soil around here got scraped away about 15,000 years ago. One end of the chicken run is exposed bedrock, and the other end it is only about 2-3 inches deep. If I rake out all the existing dirt and poop, there would be nothing left. That would be hard on the chicken's feet, plus the point is I want chickens to build soil for me.
Ah I see NWT person 😊 cold yet??? Haha. Bet it's getting dark....

Well in that case how about a mix of sand, gravel and if you can find it used horse sheep cow bedding or softwood shavings. Mix 50 percent sand 30 percent gravel and rest shavings or old horse cow sheep bedding.

With any soil for planting you need it to not be too fine or you will end up with mud, the sand gravel mix will give you drainage and the rest will be organic matter which plants need

Of course I am betting right now you are entering the wonderful throws of that joyous season we call winter so not much to be done until spring breakup.

You should post some pics of your critters from way up there!

Ah I see NWT person 😊 cold yet??? Haha. Bet it's getting dark....

Well in that case how about a mix of sand, gravel and if you can find it used horse sheep cow bedding or softwood shavings. Mix 50 percent sand 30 percent gravel and rest shavings or old horse cow sheep bedding.

With any soil for planting you need it to not be too fine or you will end up with mud, the sand gravel mix will give you drainage and the rest will be organic matter which plants need

Of course I am betting right now you are entering the wonderful throws of that joyous season we call winter so not much to be done until spring breakup.

You should post some pics of your critters from way up there!
Oh and it will need the be about 6 inches deep....

Back
Top Bottom