Chikees123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Western Australia
Okay, I live in a cold climate, and I have a medium sized cage
outside. I need a bird that can be handled a lot by children,
and can be okay when I am not at home. Well, my main aim is
a bird that is elegant, can be handled, and can talk.

Anyone have any suggestions? :)

Most of chickens will do. You need to handle them as chick so they get use to human. I would stay away from leghorn. Since you mention about cold climate, the small comb type (pea,wafer, etc) do better than single comb chicken. If you just have a cage pen and not the run, look into the coturnix quail. They are growing and feather out very fast. Good Luck!

If you want any type of parrot it will have to be inside if its cold out. If you are going to keep the cage outside all the time, get some chickens. They can handle the cold, parrots won't be able too. Also parrots are allot of work, and require allot of attention. If you are going to get a parrot and can make a BIG commitment, I'd recommend getting a bird that has been hand fed. They are used to being touched and handled more. Look into parakeets or cockatiels. They are both great birds for kids.

If you want any type of parrot it will have to be inside if its cold out. If you are going to keep the cage outside all the time, get some chickens. They can handle the cold, parrots won't be able too. Also parrots are allot of work, and require allot of attention. If you are going to get a parrot and can make a BIG commitment, I'd recommend getting a bird that has been hand fed. They are used to being touched and handled more. Look into parakeets or cockatiels. They are both great birds for kids.

X2

As the thread starter appears to have little experience with birds, so I think that a parakeet, or cockatiel would be great for them.

Lovies need companionship. It is not advised to keep them single birds UNLESS you spend a great deal of time with them. Hence the name "Lovebird", they need a mate with them at all times. Many Lovebirds parish when their mate passes on, they are that needy. So I would recommend a pair of them if you can not spend a lot of time with a single bird.

Also, you can not keep Lovebirds outside when it is cold. All parrots really belong indoors.

Lovies need companionship. It is not advised to keep them single birds UNLESS you spend a great deal of time with them. Hence the name "Lovebird", they need a mate with them at all times. Many Lovebirds parish when their mate passes on, they are that needy. So I would recommend a pair of them if you can not spend a lot of time with a single bird.

Also, you can not keep Lovebirds outside when it is cold. All parrots really belong indoors.

Also, when pairing birds which in this case is advised. The birds don't take well to being handled. Getting a parrotlet might work out better for you. I recommend a Cockatiel, but they need lots of attention, not as much as a Lovebird, but quite a bit. In my opinion, Cockatiels come out of the shell as cranky little birds, and need to be handled much more than most other birds before they are tame, and sweet to their owners.

I also believe that most parrots, unless in a rainforest or very warm climate setting, belong indoors.

In my opinion, Cockatiels come out of the shell as cranky little birds, and need to be handled much more than most other birds before they are tame, and sweet to their owners.
Boy they can be cranky. LOL

Shoot, if I'm giving a head scratch wrong the cranky comes out. And mine is a velcro bird who gets to free fly the house, has their own bedroom, and budgie tv to watch when we aren't there. Budgie TV meaning I have a pair of budgies in a cage in the cockatiels room. LOL

Lovebirds would be a good chocie. I used to have a baby lovebird, who I handfed myself, and he was my best friend. But also I had every hour of the day to spend with him. I think if you get a handfed baby that has just been weaned, you won't need another bird for it to be happy. But if you dont have the time to be with it, you will have to get a pair. But keep in mind that if you do get a pair make sure they are tame, becasue it is hard to hand tame them twice.

Boy they can be cranky. LOL

Shoot, if I'm giving a head scratch wrong the cranky comes out. And mine is a velcro bird who gets to free fly the house, has their own bedroom, and budgie tv to watch when we aren't there. Budgie TV meaning I have a pair of budgies in a cage in the cockatiels room. LOL

That sounds cool. My friend is a bird houser, and she has a room full of cockatiels. She has lots of birds as pets too.

Back
Top Bottom