What birds can live together in an aviary? Pigeons? Quail? Doves? Tiny Bantams? Canaries?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to stuff as many varied species into an aviary as possible. Sounds like a nightmare as far as birds infecting each other with stuff or eating things they shouldn't.

Also unless you're set up specifically for it, all the parrot types (parakeets, cockatiels, parrots) require a lot more care than simply tossing them in a cage. Rescues are full of birds that people bought because they're pretty, or because they saw a fun video online, with no clue how much work it takes and the life commitment you're making. A parrot is the equivalent of taking care of a toddler, and can outlive you too. I've only had parakeets and cockatiels but even then we let them free range the house, because they get bored easily.
I'm going to make sure everyone has the proper space, of course. I've seen lots of stuff on BYC with pigeons, quails, and other species in an aviary together so I had assumed it had work. I'd quarantine any new birds just like I would for chickens or ducks or any others-I definitely wouldn't want to get them all sick. I hadn't thought about the feed. Darn.

I would never buy any animal without doing the proper research-chickens, ducks, cats, dogs, parrots, cockatiels, pigeons, any of them. I want to give them all as good of a home as possible, and if I find that at the time I am not properly set up to house or care for any of them, I won't get them.

Oh, ok. I had seen from other BYC users that had mentioned having them in an aviary. Do you know of other birds that can be kept with pigeons and quail?
I've seen Cockatiels kept outside and I live in a cold place that can do down to 6°C or worse in windy weather, by ut never snows thankfully, so this place just had a concrete indoor area that I assume would be more oht of the weather and for the birds that can have different trmps ranges you could hsve the indoors be heated and the outdoors be their big open flying area, plus ofc making sure it's predator and pest proof. This place doesn't have many pigeons the 2 they do have are with a couple pheasants all seem fine, pheasants in the bottom pigeons up above, maybe that could work if your into any sort of pheasant. Umm they also have budgies and finches (all are zebras) together, some sort of little colourful parrot with groups of finches or budgies. They have these small rainbow coloured finches that begin with G, but they are in a more secure enclosure in a chicken area, but they have no contact with others. Sorry can't give much info on pigeons with other things as I don't see too many kept in any big outdoor areas, wish I did. The pheasant idea could be a cool think to look into. They were I believe oriental pheasants or however you spell it. They were blue and white.

I'm going to make sure everyone has the proper space, of course. I've seen lots of stuff on BYC with pigeons, quails, and other species in an aviary together so I had assumed it had work. I'd quarantine any new birds just like I would for chickens or ducks or any others-I definitely wouldn't want to get them all sick. I hadn't thought about the feed. Darn.

I would never buy any animal without doing the proper research-chickens, ducks, cats, dogs, parrots, cockatiels, pigeons, any of them. I want to give them all as good of a home as possible, and if I find that at the time I am not properly set up to house or care for any of them, I won't get them.
Ye, Quarantining etc can only take you so far, you need to make sure one species isn't immune to something that could make someone else seriously sick or kill them. Like examples are rabbits and chickens can carry things like tortoises or guinea pigs coudl get very sick from, weird example, but still you get the point. Plus, ye unless something is really small Vs a big bird it can be hard to separate for feedings for small birds you can give them their food were bigger things can't get to, or thing up high away from terrestrial things, but other issues with size difference could arise. A good idea is seed eaters together and fruit eaters together are some mixes I've seen to really work. If your into exotic birds there can be a good few ideas and sometimes ducks can be thrown into the mix like with Blake Exotic Animal ranch (B.E.A.R). But ye a lot of research goes into mixing, as you need to compare diets, size, coudl they physically injury something. A good combo like with pigeons and quail is the fact majority in th time they probably to share very much as they.. well.. don't need to, pigeons or doves stay up above and quail stay on the floor 🤷‍♀️ but ye just take your time find idea that interest you then figure out ways it might work and ways it won't and see if that risk is worth taking and if you cab find ways to safely get around things ...

Back
Top Bottom