What birds can live together in an aviary? Pigeons? Quail? Doves? Tiny Bantams? Canaries?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, it includes several different types of birds so I was hesitant to put it under 'pigeons' or 'quail' or something like that. I know that several people have pigeons and quail together in aviaries, but what other birds can you keep with them? I've been wondering mostly about:
-Doves
-Tiny bantams (sebrights, seramas, japanese bantams)
-Canaries
-Parrots
-Parakeets
Does anyone have experience keeping small birds together?

I would love to have as many types as birds as possible in this space but if they don't work together I might have to settle for tons of different types of pigeons and tons of different types of quail.

I think quail and pigeons/doves will work fine because they inhabit different sectors. But pigeons and doves together might end up hybridizing as well
Would there be problems with them hybridizing? I don't mind them doing it and if I was doing breeding I would keep birds that I wanted to stay purebred separate.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to stuff as many varied species into an aviary as possible. Sounds like a nightmare as far as birds infecting each other with stuff or eating things they shouldn't.

Also unless you're set up specifically for it, all the parrot types (parakeets, cockatiels, parrots) require a lot more care than simply tossing them in a cage. Rescues are full of birds that people bought because they're pretty, or because they saw a fun video online, with no clue how much work it takes and the life commitment you're making. A parrot is the equivalent of taking care of a toddler, and can outlive you too. I've only had parakeets and cockatiels but even then we let them free range the house, because they get bored easily.

Back
Top Bottom