What book would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Solsken Farm, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Please share some titles with me of must reads. I am hoping to start a small egg business using free range hens. I have tons of land and plenty of barn space to convert.

2. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I think the best books are from the 40's.
    They can still be had if you will do a bit of work.

If you want to go more modern, "A Guide to Raising Chickens" by Damerow, and "Raising Poultry the Modern Way" by Mercia, are decent.

Good luck,
    spot

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    check your library, and tumb all they have

4. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I'd recommend books from http://www.acresusa.com they have a lot geared toward the small, pasture-based farmer. Maybe something like Joel Salatin's "Pastured Poultry Profits."

5. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    The book that pulled me into chickens is called "Chickens: Tending a Small Scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit." It's by Sue Weaver. It goes into less detail than a lot of the other books I've read but I think it's a great book for basic guidlines. Easy to read and easy to find things in, which I have found (in the all of 11 weeks I've had chickens) makes a big difference.

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the titles folks! There are so many books out there it is hard to choose.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by