What books do you recommend??

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Would like to find a couple useful books on turkey raising.

If you have a recommendation, would you post THREE things:

the title,
author,
and a couple sentences about why you recommend it.

Many Thanks.

Hi...
Storey's Guide to Raising Turkeys by Leonard S. Mercia

I like...

Pros: It has a lot of information on housing,hatching..etc.

I don't like....

Cons: It doesn't talk a lot about behavior (which I have been finding out is a BIG clue on what you have gender wise and would be helpful for maintaining a healthy flock.)
Only book I have on raising turkeys which is why I depend on BYC
wink.png

Storey's Guide to Raising Turkeys by Leonard S. Mercia

Thank you NYRIR! Behavior is a BIG part of caring for animals.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you NYRIR! Behavior is a BIG part of care for animals.

I know...I was so disappointed in that book for that reason. Now I need to find one that has a lot on behavior...I was surprised because the Storey's Guide for Ducks and chickens are both excellent....

I also am looking for a good turkey book and have read that storey's is lacking. Some people have suggested a few out of print books which I can't find for less than $60.

One I'm looking at: Raising your own turkeys by Marica c1987
acually few used on Amazon for $0.45

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, just learn the basics and get some turkeys. You will learn more by raising them and from sites like this better than any books! I sold some day old keets to a first timer Friday. She sent me several e-mails all weekend having problems with spray legs and such. I would shoot her back answers. She said everything is good now. She said she had read several books and thought she had it down but in the end, she said all I needed is to just ask someone who knew how to do it. Most books are interesting and if you really enjoy reading then by all means get it but don't hesitate to ask here if you have a question.

To colby n TX, This is a great place to post questions; I'm one of those who like to be prepared with the basics because mother nature will always throw a curve at anything I plan out. Overall, a little planning goes a long way for the basics and I will certainly post a specific problem to the knowledgeable people here as needed. Thanks.

She does have a way of throwing curves! Like I said, learn the basics from a book or wherever but you won't know much until you do it yourself for years. This is a good forum and usually get a quick response. Not saying everyone of them is correct but usually good advice.

Turkey Management by Stanley J. Marsden and J. Holmes Martin, Interstate Publishing (1939).

The book is out of print, but a used copy can be purchased through various online resources. The book can also be viewed in its entirety in electronic form through the Cornell University’s Core Historical Literature of Agriculture digital collection at http://chla.library.cornell.edu/c/chla/ . The book itself is over 700 pages long but it is a worthwhile read for turkey producers.

Most of your turkey books refer to this book, including most of the ALBC educational information. You might as well get the info for the original source. What is best, is it is free on line.

I raise 500 or more turkeys every year. I still learn something, every time I open this book.

Last edited:
Turkey Management by Stanley J. Marsden and J. Holmes Martin, Interstate Publishing (1939).

THis sounds VERY interesting!!!! A book for a life time of reading. Thanks.​

Back
Top Bottom