What bothers me about chickens.

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
No one ever bothered to tell me how addicting they are!
I have 6 Easter Eggers, 5 hens one roo.
I bought a bunch of chicks this year too. The chicks are old enough to be outside and I have them in a seperated pen in the run. I always love seeing my hens and rooster run to me whenever they see me, it's so cute!
The little pullets and cockerels are the best though. They run to the edge of the pen when they see me coming. I step into the pen with them and they all crowd around my feet. When I crouch down they jump all over me trying to get in my lap. The ones I'm not petting will poke my feet, jeans, and back until I pet them.
I grab a handful of feed and they push each other out of the way to eat out of my hand until one is standing in my hand, eating the food! Haha

The biggest thing is I got my first meat rooster this year. He was free at tractor supply, so I thought why not? He could barely walk, his feet were so big for his body! He is a week older than my other chicks too. I originally viewed him as different than my other chickens, because I was using him only for meat. I didn't want to give him a name but he started getting called "dinner" by my brother. Well as twisted as it sounds, the name kind of stuck. I did feel bad not petting him as I did my other chicks, so I started petting him too. He really enjoyed it. In fact, he enjoyed it so much he started begging to be pet. He would come up to me and rub his head on me with his eyes shut. He loves his chin scratched! Now he's always the first to run to me and try and jump in my lap. I'm thinking "great, this little guy likes me and I'm starting to get attached" how am I supposed to do this now?? Gee
These chickens need to come with a warning label that you may accidentally get too attached and start chicken obsessing?!

You wouldn't be the first BYCer to keep a meat bird for a pet. The girls are pretty good layers, too.... Just keep him moving and exercising, and limit his feed if he starts getting fat. He won't live 15 years, but at least he will enjoy a good chicken life. There are pics on here of people holdig HUGE pet meat roos!

He might get too big to safely mate the hens, too.

He's such a sweetie, I would feel bad eating him. I feel bad for a lot of chicks at tractor supply because a lot of them aren't taken care of. Most of them they will give to us for free and we like to see if we can give them a better chance. The only one we didn't have make it, that we rescued, had pasty butt and he must've had it for a while because he died a couple hours after getting home :( the meat cockerel was also the same case. I just have such a soft spot for chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom