1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Brand Of Feed Do U?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tobin123, Oct 22, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    So i was wondering what brand of feed do u feed and do u think that feed can make a difference?I belive so for a couple of reason like when i feed the purina the yolks are so reddish orange and they lay so great.But when i used other feed the laying slowed and the yoke was not so.I did stick with each type for 5 months and tried 6 kinds for the past 2 years and i think the feed makes a big difference.What do u think??//

2. Toril

Toril Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    Virginia Coast
    I have used Layena Layer Pellets with good results, but they don't have an organic version. I went to Blue Seal Organic layer feed, but have had very poor yield this summer. It's also been a crazy hot summer here, so that may be why.

I just ordered organic feed from this farm: http://www.countrysidenatural.com/ - they deliver to a farm near me where I know the owners, so I saved a bunch on shipping that way. Just started mixing in that feed today - it smells strong compared to the Blue Seal! I'll report back to let you know how it works.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I use Nutrena laying pellets. They eat it fine and and I get an average of 32-35 eggs a day from 43 layers.

Missi

4. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I buy all my feed from my local co op. I use their brand and have had great results. I have 10 hens that are laying right now and been getting on average 8-9 eggs a day. So I think I'll just keep using it.

5. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    Dumor 16% layer pellets.I have ten hens and get 8-10 eggs every day.

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Layena, Nutrena, or Orscheln's brand; just depends on how low I am on feed, and how close I am to a particular store! Layena is my favorite, though.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Purina Flock Raiser. Cheaper than buying multiple bags of feed for different ages and types of birds. I will feed one bag of Purina Start&Grow Medicated then all chicks are on Flock Raiser. 20% protein I offer oyster shell free choice.

My birds are big an healthy. Never had any problem with diseases

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Coyote Magic said, for the same reason. Only I use Nutrena Grower/Finisher feed instead of Purina FlockRaiser. Plus the free choice crushed oyster shell. And BOSS tossed in the run in the mornings so I can get from feeder and waterer to the next without tripping over chickens.

Different "treats" in the afternoons, most days.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  9. squiqwe

squiqwe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Cortland,Ohio
    Squiqwe's brand, I make my own. I have a small flock,9 hens,[​IMG] so I can afford to make it.

10. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Southern States.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by