What Brand Of Feed Do U?

tobin123

Songster
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
fountaintown,indiana
So i was wondering what brand of feed do u feed and do u think that feed can make a difference?I belive so for a couple of reason like when i feed the purina the yolks are so reddish orange and they lay so great.But when i used other feed the laying slowed and the yoke was not so.I did stick with each type for 5 months and tried 6 kinds for the past 2 years and i think the feed makes a big difference.What do u think??//

I have used Layena Layer Pellets with good results, but they don't have an organic version. I went to Blue Seal Organic layer feed, but have had very poor yield this summer. It's also been a crazy hot summer here, so that may be why.

I just ordered organic feed from this farm: http://www.countrysidenatural.com/ - they deliver to a farm near me where I know the owners, so I saved a bunch on shipping that way. Just started mixing in that feed today - it smells strong compared to the Blue Seal! I'll report back to let you know how it works.

I buy all my feed from my local co op. I use their brand and have had great results. I have 10 hens that are laying right now and been getting on average 8-9 eggs a day. So I think I'll just keep using it.

Layena, Nutrena, or Orscheln's brand; just depends on how low I am on feed, and how close I am to a particular store! Layena is my favorite, though.

Purina Flock Raiser. Cheaper than buying multiple bags of feed for different ages and types of birds. I will feed one bag of Purina Start&Grow Medicated then all chicks are on Flock Raiser. 20% protein I offer oyster shell free choice.

My birds are big an healthy. Never had any problem with diseases

What Coyote Magic said, for the same reason. Only I use Nutrena Grower/Finisher feed instead of Purina FlockRaiser. Plus the free choice crushed oyster shell. And BOSS tossed in the run in the mornings so I can get from feeder and waterer to the next without tripping over chickens.

Different "treats" in the afternoons, most days.

Last edited:
Squiqwe's brand, I make my own. I have a small flock,9 hens,
woot.gif
so I can afford to make it.

Back
Top Bottom