What Brand of Feed Do you prefere

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kglazier, Jan 17, 2014.

1. kglazier

kglazier Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    15 standard pullets, 4 laying, the rest are 15 weeks old. I've not been sure about brands so I usually buy equal amounts of Purina layina pellets, the cheap laying pellets, and starch. mix together and feed 1.5 lbs a day. my chickens also free range 2 hrs a day during week and all day Saturday and Sunday. I also provide oyster shell.

I am starting some clover in flats this weekend and add mealworms. from a batch I started last month

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Don't mix 50/50, you are not providing to their full nutritional needs at that mixture.

Scratch should consist of no more than 20% of their daily diet, and that's on a high protein feed. Layer is usually around 15-16% protein. You are probably cutting it down to around 12-13%, which is not enough at all.

I feed a local starter that is 18%. I ferment or soak it with whole grains (oats, barley, wheat and BOSS), but the grains are only 1/4 of the amount of starter. My whole grains are also higher in protein than scratch combinations.

Whole oats are 14% protein
    Wheat is 12.5%
    Barley is 12.3%
    BOSS is 17%
    Corn is 9%

I'd say my total protein content is around 16-17%. The soaking process enables more of that protein to become available during digestion.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    I prefer DuMor, since its cheap and the analysis meets what I like in most of the nutritional needs. Oyster shell, free range pasture, and some corn ration during cold snaps.

Now, if I could, I would love to afford some of the more expensive organic layer rations. They just aren't available locally and ordering them is just far out of my budget.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I use DoMor from TSC, I call it DustMore. Not that I prefer it, it's just better than the moldy, buggy, overpriced no-name brand crap that my local indy feed store sells.
    I agree with the others that your protein is a bit low. It would probably be ok if your birds free ranged all day, every day. 1.5 lbs of feed for 15 chickens sounds a bit skimpy, 15 chickens should eat about 3.5 lbs per day.
    I've got quail, young growing chickens, & old mature chickens, so to not have to fool with 3 different bags of feed everybody eats starter. I do mix the starter with cracked corn for the mature chickens & death row roosters because they obviously don't need 20% protein.
    I'm not saying my birds have the best or perfect balanced diet, that's just the way I feed them.
    When the roosters and quail have all been butchered and the young pullets start laying I'll go back to DoMor layer.

5. kglazier

May 17, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I mix it 33/33/33. I'll calculate the protein and up the amount. thanks for the advice...

6. aoxa

I go through 2.5 lbs of feed a day for 15 chickens.

I go through 200 lbs a week and have 170 birds. I calculated it out. I go through less when I soak, but weather sucks, and I haven't been able to.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is your 'local starter' a pellet or crumble? Does soaking that increase nutrition availability?
    I know it does for whole grains, but I didn't think it applied to cracked grains or crumble/pellets.

8. aoxa

Yes it does :) Fermenting makes a difference for any type of feed.

I use a starter crumble along with whole grains.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I feed a 20% flock raiser and cracked scratch mix at a 2:1 ratio......with kitchen scraps and wheat fodder when available, which reduces the amount of the feed they eat.
    Combined 3lbs a day for 10 chooks.

10. kglazier

May 17, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    when you soak or ferment feed how long do you ferment it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by