What Brand of Feed Do you prefere

kglazier

Chirping
May 17, 2013
Raleigh, NC
15 standard pullets, 4 laying, the rest are 15 weeks old. I've not been sure about brands so I usually buy equal amounts of Purina layina pellets, the cheap laying pellets, and starch. mix together and feed 1.5 lbs a day. my chickens also free range 2 hrs a day during week and all day Saturday and Sunday. I also provide oyster shell.

I am starting some clover in flats this weekend and add mealworms. from a batch I started last month

Don't mix 50/50, you are not providing to their full nutritional needs at that mixture.

Scratch should consist of no more than 20% of their daily diet, and that's on a high protein feed. Layer is usually around 15-16% protein. You are probably cutting it down to around 12-13%, which is not enough at all.

I feed a local starter that is 18%. I ferment or soak it with whole grains (oats, barley, wheat and BOSS), but the grains are only 1/4 of the amount of starter. My whole grains are also higher in protein than scratch combinations.

Whole oats are 14% protein
Wheat is 12.5%
Barley is 12.3%
BOSS is 17%
Corn is 9%

I'd say my total protein content is around 16-17%. The soaking process enables more of that protein to become available during digestion.

I prefer DuMor, since its cheap and the analysis meets what I like in most of the nutritional needs. Oyster shell, free range pasture, and some corn ration during cold snaps.

Now, if I could, I would love to afford some of the more expensive organic layer rations. They just aren't available locally and ordering them is just far out of my budget.

I use DoMor from TSC, I call it DustMore. Not that I prefer it, it's just better than the moldy, buggy, overpriced no-name brand crap that my local indy feed store sells.
I agree with the others that your protein is a bit low. It would probably be ok if your birds free ranged all day, every day. 1.5 lbs of feed for 15 chickens sounds a bit skimpy, 15 chickens should eat about 3.5 lbs per day.
I've got quail, young growing chickens, & old mature chickens, so to not have to fool with 3 different bags of feed everybody eats starter. I do mix the starter with cracked corn for the mature chickens & death row roosters because they obviously don't need 20% protein.
I'm not saying my birds have the best or perfect balanced diet, that's just the way I feed them.
When the roosters and quail have all been butchered and the young pullets start laying I'll go back to DoMor layer.

Don't mix 50/50, you are not providing to their full nutritional needs at that mixture.

Scratch should consist of no more than 20% of their daily diet, and that's on a high protein feed. Layer is usually around 15-16% protein. You are probably cutting it down to around 12-13%, which is not enough at all.

I feed a local starter that is 18%. I ferment or soak it with whole grains (oats, barley, wheat and BOSS), but the grains are only 1/4 of the amount of starter. My whole grains are also higher in protein than scratch combinations.

Whole oats are 14% protein
Wheat is 12.5%
Barley is 12.3%
BOSS is 17%
Corn is 9%

I'd say my total protein content is around 16-17%. The soaking process enables more of that protein to become available during digestion.
Is your 'local starter' a pellet or crumble? Does soaking that increase nutrition availability?
I know it does for whole grains, but I didn't think it applied to cracked grains or crumble/pellets.

Is your 'local starter' a pellet or crumble? Does soaking that increase nutrition availability?
I know it does for whole grains, but I didn't think it applied to cracked grains or crumble/pellets.
Yes it does :) Fermenting makes a difference for any type of feed.

I use a starter crumble along with whole grains.

I feed a 20% flock raiser and cracked scratch mix at a 2:1 ratio......with kitchen scraps and wheat fodder when available, which reduces the amount of the feed they eat.
Combined 3lbs a day for 10 chooks.

Back
Top Bottom