What Brand of Layer Feed is Best?

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I know there were a couple threads on this subject already and I read them but none were recent so I thought that maybe some things have changed since 2008.

Right now, I have 8, 7 week old pullets. They are eating Nutrena "Nature Wise" starter crumbles and seem to be thriving. My slow-grower (I think she was a runt) grew almost twice the size in the last week and has finally caught up with the others. I've had them since they were four weeks old, so 3 weeks now, and since then they have always been eating this feed. I'm not sure what they were eating before but I can find out if it's helpful.

When they switch to layer feed at 18 weeks I want to know what's best for them. Do I stick with Nutrena? Switch to Purina? I can't afford the expensive, all organic and natural stuff (I wish I could). I'm also planning on offering them oyster shell freely and obviously grit.

I'm not aware of any actual feed trials comparing the common brands of feed, so there's no help there. I've been buying Purina for a long time, with good results, and have never tried Nutrena. Some folks love their local feed mill, but I had poor results when I tried the locally produced layer feed. Fresh feed that's available all the time is very important, and that may vary depending on where you live. Mary

I don't know if I have a local feed mill or where to find one. I live in Northern IL, by Rockford. There's feed stores by me but I've never heard of a feed mill around me but I've never really looked for one either.

I have a feed store near me owned by a local family. They sell Kent foods but only sell two different kinds and I'm not sure which one is best. Can someone help me out here? Here's the link to the products my feed store sells.

http://kentfeeds.com/products/other-animals/poultry/

If neither of these is good, I also have a farm and fleet nearby and a Big R but I like to shop local.

Back
Top Bottom