What bred and gender are these chicks

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Hi i bought eggs 7 weeks ago as the breed heavy Bloom, it’s basically just a chick that lays brown or white eggs that more often lays eggs with bloom on it are breed to see if that makes them lay heavy bloom eggs more often.(I’m no professional and it’s my first time hatching chicks so I don’t really know if it’s true or not)
I now have 4 heavy bloom chicks that are 5 weeks,but don’t know their breed or gender😊

1 pic is a chick I think is a rooster, it have really thick legs and a thick comp it also almost the one that fights the other ones also have a red comb

2 pic is my fave it have thinner legs and almost never fights also have a light pink comb🐣

Pic 3 is a little sweetheart, I have never seen it fight and it have thin legs,light pink comb as well😊

Pic 4 and 5 is also a rooster I think, is have really thick legs and fights a lot and a very red comb🐣

Attachments

• 1E1850CC-1EBC-42B1-AD84-ECE24068FCCA.jpeg
    1E1850CC-1EBC-42B1-AD84-ECE24068FCCA.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 065EDF30-3830-4DBE-900C-DB78D75744BC.jpeg
    065EDF30-3830-4DBE-900C-DB78D75744BC.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DF2665E5-200F-480E-854B-5A8591BDA53F.jpeg
    DF2665E5-200F-480E-854B-5A8591BDA53F.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 681C8C5F-3F74-4BED-ADCD-69A56B6D5941.jpeg
    681C8C5F-3F74-4BED-ADCD-69A56B6D5941.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 987CD396-5A98-42C3-992D-D6BC057FFCF9.jpeg
    987CD396-5A98-42C3-992D-D6BC057FFCF9.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
There’s no such thing as a “brown or white egg gene mutation that causes them to lay brown and intermittently, white eggs”
“Heavy Bloom” is not a breed. Or a mutt i’ve ever even heard of.
These look like random mutts, possibly Olive Eggers.
Where are you located?
I agree with your guesses.

Pic 1 and 5 are likely cockerels. 'Sweet' chicks often turn out to be cockerels but so far looks like a Pullet.
Leg thickness isn't a good indicator for gender.

There’s no such thing as a “brown or white egg gene mutation that causes them to lay brown and intermittently, white eggs”
“Heavy Bloom” is not a breed. Or a mutt i’ve ever even heard of.
These look like random mutts, possibly Olive Eggers.
Where are you located?
I agree with your guesses.
I’m located in Europe, I’m sorry for the saying it’s a gene mutation the guy I bought the eggs from are taking the hens who lays a lot of bloom eggs and paring it to see if he can get chickens that lay mostly eggs with bloom on it wich is possible😊sorry for the misconception😊

I’m located in Europe, I’m sorry for the saying it’s a gene mutation the guy I bought the eggs from are taking the hens who lays a lot of bloom eggs and paring it to see if he can get chickens that lay mostly eggs with bloom on it wich is possible😊sorry for the misconception😊
It’s not a mutation - it’s a trait that is bred for. If he’s got breeding stock, any “light layers” should have been culled. There are breeds like Marans, Penedesenca, Barnevelder, and Welsummer that lay specifically dark brown eggs. No mutation - just a trait that someone bred for time and time again. If you want dark eggs, I don’t suggest buying mutts. Plus, the guy doesn’t sound like he actually knew what he was talking about.
Sorry if that comes across as rude or didn’t make sense.

Ty for your answer, may I ask if you know why chicks have different leg thickness if it has nothing to do with gender😊
it's just genetics how the legs turn out, some roos have thicker legs, some don't, some hens have thicker legs, some don't. I have a a welsummer cockerel chick in my latest chick order, I have 5 Pullet chicks with thicker legs than him. Some critters are just big boned.

It’s not a mutation - it’s a trait that is bred for. If he’s got breeding stock, any “light layers” should have been culled. There are breeds like Marans, Penedesenca, Barnevelder, and Welsummer that lay specifically dark brown eggs. No mutation - just a trait that someone bred for time and time again. If you want dark eggs, I don’t suggest buying mutts. Plus, the guy doesn’t sound like he actually knew what he was talking about.
Sorry if that comes across as rude or didn’t make sense.
Don’t worry it don’t sound rude or anything like that😊I think I was just a little bad at explaining it to you, the guy I bought the eggs from is a professional and sells and have a lot of farms around my contry😊 i guess I will just have to wait to see what color egg they will lay to find out what they are😊

Back
Top Bottom