What Breed AM I?

Thank you all!
I believe "she" is an EE too! She is so lovable. She loves to snuggle. I'm sure the folks at the Wildlife Rescue center paid lots of attention to her and now she just loves to be around people. I love that about my other 2 EE's. I just hope she is a Sally; otherwise, I'll have to call him Sal.
I went out and bought her food so she's now eating what a chick should be eating! I 'm hoping she'll put on a little weight in the next few days.
Thanks, again!!

No EE there....an American gamefowl, and I would lean towards a rooster...
cool.png

OK...I'm beginning to believe I may indeed have an American Fowl chick....she has long legs like some of the pictures I've seen of American Game Fowls. I hope it is not a rooster because I can not keep a rooster.
However....if it is a hen...I'm concerned with my ability to handle such a chicken. I've tried to read as much as I can about American Game Fowls but I haven't found much info other than they do have aggression tendencies.
If she is a "she"...will she be aggressive towards my other 4 girls. I have no roosters. Will she be aggressive towards me.
I've been holding her quite a bit and she seems to enjoy being held...she even makes a purring sound when I hold her.
I don't know....I'm a little concerned. :|
Can anyone one tell me more about this breed of chicken? I want her to share the coop with the other girls and get along with them and ME!
Any info greatly appreciated.

If she is a she, and she is raised with the rest of your flock with you handling her daily, she will be the perfect chicken and a protector of babies should you let her brood a clutch of eggs.
smile.png
She will also make a good incubator as game hens will go broody often.

She will be no more aggressive than any other hen, gamefowl just have stronger constitutions. If raised with your other birds, she will find her place in the pecking order like any other chicken would. A game hen makes for a fine broody and they do lay fairly well in season too, as long as you keep the eggs picked up and prevent her from going broody. We have had game hens with RIRs, Brahmas, Polish, Orloffs, Barred Rocks, and have had no problems. If it turns out to be a rooster, check out secondchanceforchickens.com to seek placement if you cannot find someone through the forums. Gameroosters are beautiful birds that will give their lives protecting a flock of hens. Many of the horror stories and propaganda you read concerning gamefowl are from sources who either didn't do their homework before getting involved with them, or are individuals with other agendas other than the well being of the bird. Good luck with your new bird and keep us updated. Any questions or concerns feel free to PM me....
smile.png

XStags07.jpg

I have to jump on the American Game bandwagon for this one. The pink in the comb and wattles before the neck has fully feathered makes me think a little rooster, don't worry I've been wrong before, and since you're hoping for a hen I'm hoping with you. Best of Luck!

GLHatch.jpg

Here's one of my little green legged pullets from this year

GLHatchStags.jpg

and one of her brothers taken on the same day

Back
Top Bottom