What breed and gender are my chicks?

tartarsammich

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014

I got 6 red pullets from TSC about 3 weeks ago and I want to know what breed they are. One of my friends seems to think one is a rooster. Gender isn't as important to me atm.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I think you have it right--they're red pullets. Most likely some variety of red sex link--so they're not a breed at all, but rather a specialized type of mutt.

As far as the baby you're concerned about, was it the same color as the others before its feathers came in, or was it yellower? Sex Link females are red and the males are yellow at hatch.

I'm having a bit of trouble seeing their basic color in the top photo. Let me know if they were all yellow and I'm totally off base!
roll.png

Not sure what they were at hatch, but three days they were kind of gold and one was yellow

Not sure what they were at hatch, but three days they were kind of gold and one was yellow

Is the yellow one the suspected cockerel? It does sound like you may have some gold sex links, there. You'll know by watching comb and wattle development. Also, a male will develop red shoulders and females will not.

Yes and my friend did the thing where you hold them upside down and one of them did what a rooster does. I'll take more pictures if you are still interested.

Definitely little red sex links. That's what my initial babies were, they're very good chickens and layers.

We had a suspected roo as well, was the craziest little thing. Turned out to be a pullet, even though it was stark yellow as a babe. lol

Back
Top Bottom