What breed AND gender...?

Penny Olive

Hatching
Jun 12, 2017
Hi everyone,
Long time reader, first time poster here :)
I bought this guy/gal as a fertile "olive egger" egg and he/she hatched exactly 17 weeks ago today. Now, upon some googling, it doesn't appear as though the afro was supposed to comes as a standard feature. Is anyone able to tell me what you think he/she is? And also if it's a he or a she for that matter?
Many thanks!

Attachments

• Chicken 1.png
    Chicken 1.png
    708.3 KB · Views: 13
Olive Eggers are essentially crossbreds. There is no standard or typical look to them. You won't know if she is indeed an Olive Egger until she starts laying. She very likely had and Ameraucauna parent for the blue egg gene. But I'm having a hard time thinking of the other parent breed that would have carried the dark brown egg gene and is crested.

I do think that's indeed a pullet. Like Gray Farms said, the Olive Eggers are basically a mixed breed to get the darker green eggs. I'm going to wager a guess at Cream Legbar and Black Copper Marans based on what she looks like. But really, there's no way to tell for sure. At least one parent had some crested breed though.

You're all legends! Thank you :) So glad you all think she's a she!
RE Chicken Girl 1' question, she was hatched from a dark-olive coloured egg so would be lovely if that's what she ends up producing.
Thanks again, everyone!!

I do think that's indeed a pullet. Like Gray Farms said, the Olive Eggers are basically a mixed breed to get the darker green eggs. I'm going to wager a guess at Cream Legbar and Black Copper Marans based on what she looks like. But really, there's no way to tell for sure. At least one parent had some crested breed though.
this

Back
Top Bottom