What breed and how old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sylverfly, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I just got these hens they are a little rough looking at the moment but I'm not sure on the breed or age. They are either undersized, not fully grown, or bantams. I told the people I bought them from that I didn't want to buy any bantams and paid standard size hen price for them so I won't be real happy if they are bantams. They are bigger then most bantam breeds I've had but are smaller then a white leghorn. The hen in the front is a production red/ Rhode Island Red.
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What did the sellers say they were?

They look like immature pullets to me, maybe 4ish months old. Not sure on breed, they resemble a couple breeds but look mixed, honestly.

3. Banana Hen

Banana Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    With my flock(s)
    Ditto. I think they are immature leghorns, but if you sell them do not mention the breed until you are absolutely sure what they are.

4. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I was told they were hatchery birds, ordered from a hatchery most of the hens were hatchery white leghorns who had just started laying about a month ago so who knows. There is one other hen that I'm stumped on that came with the group so maybe these are mixes from a later hatch or something? I was thinking brown leghorn, phoenix, old English game bantam, jungle fowl (a few have greyish legs and some have yellow legs), or a mix, but I really have no idea.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Chicken Obsessed

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree they are about 16 weeks-ish and immature pullets.

They aren't brown leghorn as their earlobes aren't white.

The coloring reminds me of an immature Welsummer pullet...but those heads look like they have some game bird in them which could explain the undersize as well.

They could be hatchery packing peanuts and simply mutts.

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by