What breed are my 2 chickens? Pullets?

I agree that you have a Partridge Wyandotte pullet and the other is a cockerel. His coloring is red, which is slightly unusual for a Wyandotte. My initial thought is a Rose Combed RIR which are equally unusual, but depending on where the feed-store got them, could be a possibility
Interesting you say that after searching the Internet more I was also thinking maybe rose comb RIR. I picked up a few other Rareish breeds that day... an appenzeller spitzhauben gold laced Cochin, Splash Andalusian.... if it is a rose comb RIR would you still think rooster?

I agree that you have a Partridge Wyandotte pullet and the other is a cockerel. His coloring is red, which is slightly unusual for a Wyandotte. My initial thought is a Rose Combed RIR which are equally unusual, but depending on where the feed-store got them, could be a possibility
Interesting you say that after searching the Internet more I was also thinking maybe rose comb RIR. But may not be too far off I picked up a few other Rareish breeds that day... a

Oh wow, yes that comb and wattle are much more developed! I got 8 chicks from that feed store and all the others turned out to be full breeds (if that’s what you call it) so I was thinking these two were as well.
They might be..some don’t follow the feathering out rules right away. I see some interesting feathers poking out from under Mia. Will be interesting to see how she turns out ❤️

Peri is a Partridge Wyandotte, pullet.

Mia is likely Michael, and again I think Wyandotte.

Both have rose combs, however, Mia's is much more developed indicating likely male.

If you got at feed store, with a heavier layer build, clean yellow legs, rose combs, likely will be Wyandottes. Wyandottes come in a plethora of colors.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Turns out you were right... Mia aka Michael crowed this morning. 😩 I heard her/him 3 times this morning when I was letting them out of the hen house. I was in denial since her wattles never developed like the other roo’s I had (different breeds) but that would make since if he is a Wyandotte because I read that a lot of the time the boys develope their wattle combs late. Here is a pick of him today. Also, I’m assuming the crows will get louder and louder as he gets older? It wasn’t super loud to were the neighbors would complain as of now... 🤔

Attachments

• 1FC906D4-EA7E-4EB9-BE1E-FB5789343631.jpeg
    1FC906D4-EA7E-4EB9-BE1E-FB5789343631.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 11
Sorry that Mia is Michael, but yeah, no surprise.

The crows will get louder. If you really like Michael, and he is a sweet rooster, you might consider a crow collar from My Pet Chicken. They really work, once you fiddle with them to get them in the right place, and monitor them for chicken safety to make sure the crop is clearing properly.

I still think more likely Wyandotte than rose combed RIR if you got them at a feed store. I personally have never seen rose combed RIR at a feed store, only small breeders.

Good luck with Michael.
LofMc

Sorry that Mia is Michael, but yeah, no surprise.

The crows will get louder. If you really like Michael, and he is a sweet rooster, you might consider a crow collar from My Pet Chicken. They really work, once you fiddle with them to get them in the right place, and monitor them for chicken safety to make sure the crop is clearing properly.

I still think more likely Wyandotte than rose combed RIR if you got them at a feed store. I personally have never seen rose combed RIR at a feed store, only small breeders.

Good luck with Michael.
LofMc

I was thinking about trying the collar thing. He is very friendly and my kids love him. I think I will try to keep him and see how it goes..

Attachments

• 7270D69D-AD14-4296-899F-E91400510123.jpeg
    7270D69D-AD14-4296-899F-E91400510123.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks so much for the reply! Yes I got them from a feed store. Good to know! They were SR and they didn’t know what kind.
I have had my suspicions about “Mia” aka “Michael” as well. 🤣😬 love her so... so I have been holding out. I had to rehome a few others that turned out to be roosters as well but Mia’s wattles never developed as much as the others so I was hoping hen. She/he has always been one of the biggest and has had those thick legs.
I'm new to this but it looks like Mia/Micheal's tailfeathers are starting a down-turn. beauties, both!

Back
Top Bottom