What breed are my 2 chickens? Pullets?

Lacey Gardner

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
These two girls (I’m hoping) are about 9 weeks old. I was thinking Mia was a RIR but her comb looks different and she has an awful lot of black?? And Peri really has me stumped.... any suggestions as to what breed they are?
1928DB9F-E99B-47C0-8718-25E104EF9DC1.jpeg
1C19B147-D39B-4189-9DA6-2756ABFE0F0B.jpeg

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
10 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Peri is a Partridge Wyandotte, pullet.

Mia is likely Michael, and again I think Wyandotte.

Both have rose combs, however, Mia's is much more developed indicating likely male.

If you got at feed store, with a heavier layer build, clean yellow legs, rose combs, likely will be Wyandottes. Wyandottes come in a plethora of colors.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Lacey Gardner

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Peri is a Partridge Wyandotte, pullet.

Mia is likely Michael, and again I think Wyandotte.

Both have rose combs, however, Mia's is much more developed indicating likely male.

If you got at feed store, with a heavier layer build, clean yellow legs, rose combs, likely will be Wyandottes. Wyandottes come in a plethora of colors.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Thanks so much for the reply! Yes I got them from a feed store. Good to know! They were SR and they didn’t know what kind.
I have had my suspicions about “Mia” aka “Michael” as well. 🤣😬 love her so... so I have been holding out. I had to rehome a few others that turned out to be roosters as well but Mia’s wattles never developed as much as the others so I was hoping hen. She/he has always been one of the biggest and has had those thick legs.

birdlover2

Crowing
Jan 28, 2019
Ohio
Thanks so much for the reply! Yes I got them from a feed store. Good to know! They were SR and they didn’t know what kind.
I have had my suspicions about “Mia” aka “Michael” as well. 🤣😬 love her so... so I have been holding out. I had to rehome a few others that turned out to be roosters as well but Mia’s wattles never developed as much as the others so I was hoping hen. She/he has always been one of the biggest and has had those thick legs.
Are roos illegal where you live? One rooster and one hen may not be a bad mix if not.

CleverTwist

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2020
I think maybe a Wyandotte cross and the first one with partridge. Pullets I think, pretty sure Mia should have wattles by now at 9 weeks (at least small pinker ones). All my Wyandottes have bigger rose combs with wattles now that are roosters and they were April 24 feed store purchases pure breeds and supposedly Wyandottes are late to mature (have to agree). Attached pic of one of mine at 5 weeks old.
33B460EF-9A3E-48CB-BDF7-A1A8AE72D68F.jpeg

Lacey Gardner

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Are roos illegal where you live? One rooster and one hen may not be a bad mix if not.
Yes, unfortunately we can’t legally have roosters where we live. Otherwise I would keep him. 😢 it’s a noise ordinance thing I’m assuming.. Guess I can keep him/her up until he starts crowing but I figure it would be harder to rehome him by then verses when he is younger.

Lacey Gardner

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
I think maybe a Wyandotte cross and the first one with partridge. Pullets I think, pretty sure Mia should have wattles by now at 9 weeks (at least small pinker ones). All my Wyandottes have bigger rose combs with wattles now that are roosters and they were April 24 feed store purchases pure breeds and supposedly Wyandottes are late to mature (have to agree). Attached pic of one of mine at 5 weeks old. View attachment 2191277
Oh wow, yes that comb and wattle are much more developed! I got 8 chicks from that feed store and all the others turned out to be full breeds (if that’s what you call it) so I was thinking these two were as well.

birdlover2

Crowing
Jan 28, 2019
Ohio
Yes, unfortunately we can’t legally have roosters where we live. Otherwise I would keep him. 😢 it’s a noise ordinance thing I’m assuming.. Guess I can keep him/her up until he starts crowing but I figure it would be harder to rehome him by then verses when he is younger.
You could always try to keep him anyways, I've known people who keep roosters despite not being supposed to and nobody ever reported them. But that is probably not a good idea. Good luck finding Mia a home if she turns out to be a he. You could probably use BYC to give her/him away. I would wait a while first and see if they start trying to crow, sometimes they look like they'll be a roo but they surprise us.

Lacey Gardner

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
You could always try to keep him anyways, I've known people who keep roosters despite not being supposed to and nobody ever reported them. But that is probably not a good idea. Good luck finding Mia a home if she turns out to be a he. You could probably use BYC to give her/him away. I would wait a while first and see if they start trying to crow, sometimes they look like they'll be a roo but they surprise us.
Good advise. Thank you! Yes to it all...

Rhodebar Lover

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Tennessee, US
I agree that you have a Partridge Wyandotte pullet and the other is a cockerel. His coloring is red, which is slightly unusual for a Wyandotte. My initial thought is a Rose Combed RIR which are equally unusual, but depending on where the feed-store got them, could be a possibility

Top Bottom