What breed are my Ducklings?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
My 3 bantam hens hatched out some duck eggs I bought of a market food stall. Out of 10 eggs 9 hatched. (I just let them sit on the duck eggs as they were broody and I thought it kind of an experiment to see if the eggs would hatch or not).

Anyone know what breed they may be?

I was thinking Khaki Campbell ducks... but I was wondering why they all have yellow chests? Is that normal for Campbell ducklings? They are all this same brown colour.. but one is black.

Also is they any way to tell the sex of them? I only want to keep 2 females to join my Male Pekin duck. The rest I am giving to a couple of friends. (At what age can I re home them?)

Wow that is crazy they hatched! They are so cute. They do look like khakis you can rehome. Them about 4 days or later probably even sooner if you really wanted to. As for sexing them that young they'd need to be vent sexed but that could harm them if done wrong. Sometimes they have a person at your local feed store that can do that for you

Wow that is crazy they hatched! They are so cute. They do look like khakis you can rehome. Them about 4 days or later probably even sooner if you really wanted to. As for sexing them that young they'd need to be vent sexed but that could harm them if done wrong. Sometimes they have a person at your local feed store that can do that for you

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking at more photos on this site and the net I think they are Khakis. They are very cute!

I had to help one out of its egg.. as all the other had hatched and dried off.. but this one just had a small hole in the egg. This egg got chilled as it was pushed out the nest the day before and when I found it, it was cold.. I thought it would have died.

I got it out the egg quite easily.. should have acted sooner.. because the membrane has dried up and that was why it was trapped... It was very weak and did not make any noise.. also its eyes would not open.. I put it under the broody hen to dry off over night..... Today it is eating and doing everything OK.. but is much more weak then the others and wobbly. I hope it will get stronger... Can they get some sort of brain damage from getting cold in the egg?

I am going to let them grow to about a week old and then I have 2 people who want them.

I may re home all of them.. because I can't take the chance of ending up with any more drakes. I already have a male pekin to re home.. and I was hoping to keep a female duckling to grow up and then I could re home them as a pair. But knowing my luck I would end up with more males!!! Then I can't re home them.. and I can;t bring myself to butcher them
hide.gif

I'm the same way I wouldn't be able to butcher them at all, are you giving them brewer's yeast?so awesome the little one is still alive. I don't think they can get brain damage like that but I'm not too sure.

I'm the same way I wouldn't be able to butcher them at all, are you giving them brewer's yeast?so awesome the little one is still alive. I don't think they can get brain damage like that but I'm not too sure.
They are getting a duck and chick started which in not medicated. Its for ducks too... so I think there is enough Vit B thing in there. They are also free range all day with their 3 hen mothers and I have seen them eating lots of little insects.

The weak one is still wobbly.. but doing fine otherwise. He can keep up.. but when he stops he has to sit down lol. Also his neck muscles are not so good and he sometimes flops his head about a bit. Maybe he was a weakling and that's why he could not hatch himself.. and it was not to do with the egg chilling. I am sure he is going to be fine.. as he can eat, drink and run about really fast and is very bright eyed and already putting on weight.

Back
Top Bottom