What breed are my Ducks?

Quote:
I really do think those brown ones are khaki Campbell drakes with juvenile feathering. The heads look very "drake" and if they are kCs, the orange legs are drake color.

Last edited:
They all look like mixed breeds. Khaki campbells don't have such a mix of colors in their feathers. They are generally one shade of brown, sometimes with a little light or dark brown mixed in. I would say yours ate a Rouen mixed, possibly with campbells.

And I don't think the black ones are cayugas. Cayugas are black but very noticeably green. If yours are green, the whole bodies not just the heads, then yes, they ate cayugas. If not, then they are a mix. I have some Swedish mixed with rouens that look like that. They are black, and one of mine has a green head.

Thanks for all the responses, Hope they are not all drakes! No quacking from any of them yet.

IMAG0325.jpg

Quote:
They might actually be green. My Cayuga is VERY green, but by some magical series of events all the green disappears whenever I take a picture of her. In all of her photos, she just looks like a solid black duck.

LOL! Our guesses are all over the map!
big_smile.png
Maybe we should start a BYC "betting pool" for the gender and breed. Learycow, you may be right that the ones some of us thought were khaki Campbells are mixed breeds. When my kC drakes were fledged juveniles, they had coloring like that, and one had a white patch on his throat (not a desireable trait for a kC). The ones in JonMT's photos have more of a white ring like a Rouen. But those two definitely look like drakes at least.
smile.png

[[[[......Two of my female ducks have drake feathers, so dont rely on that. Beautiful Birds!.....]]]]]

Males only have "male" plumage part of the year. The rest of the year, their plumage looks very much like the females. They are still males when they are in their drab plumage.

Back
Top Bottom